Our experienced team of editors and researchers contributed to this article and tested it for accuracy and completeness.
The number of sources used in this article is 49. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
The wikiHow content management team carefully monitors the work of editors to ensure that each article meets our high quality standards.
It seems to you that you have already tried thousands of different diets? And they all failed? Then you should abandon standard diets. Better do a little research on your taste and eating habits, adjust your diet, and follow some simple recommendations. Create your own diet, and then you will be on the right track either to lose weight or to maintain normal weight.
Step 1: choose a name
You surely want your diet to work. To do this, the first thing you need to come up with is a suitable name. It should not contain geographical names, product names and references to time. Use the Gestalt theory, which says that words unconsciously convey the symbolic ideas that lie behind their meaning. Something that people usually associate with health and physical fitness is ideal, even if it has nothing to do with the diet itself.
MH offers: “Lean and vegetable diet”
Step 2: highlight the product group
If you do not limit yourself to anything, then this is not a diet. In order not to puzzle, just eliminate carbohydrates, as most do. A year-long study, published in The Annals of Internal Medicine, found that a carbohydrate-free diet was three times more effective than a fat-free diet. That is why well-known nutritionists like Ducane and Atkins, build their nutrition plans precisely on the exclusion of carbohydrates.
MH offers: exclude refined carbohydrates
Step 3: make a rule (or two)
Announce all the ingenious, unique and extravagant rules of your diet. For example, there are only red plates. Or use only a large plug. Or cut it all into tiny pieces. Let them be funny, the main thing is to carry them out was not difficult.
MH offers: all of the above. And let half the contents of the plate will always be vegetables
Step 4: arm yourself with scientific knowledge
Oh Trin pseudo-scientific data. If your diet does not have real science, you will be just another guy who is freaking out with his food. Fortunately, the physiology and psychology of losing weight has been researched enough to make you confidently claim that the red plate (American Journal of Preventive Medicine), the big fork (University of Utah) and the tiny pieces (Journal of the American Dietetic Association) really help reduce calorie intake.
MH offers: do not eat after 8 p.m., as eating too late leads to obesity (The Obesity Journal)
Method 1. Explore Nutritional Needs
Determine the number of calories that you need.
Daily calorie intake depends on your age, gender, weight, height and level of activity. As a rule, the more active you are, the more calories you need to maintain your current weight.
- For example, in the United States, adults are advised to consume between 1,600 and 3,200 calories per day. On average, most adults require about 2,000 calories.
- To lose half a kilogram per week, reduce your diet by 500-750 calories.
- To lose a kilogram in a week, you need to reduce the number of calories by 1000-1500.
- The level of activity has a huge impact on the number of calories you need to consume. Men, as a rule, consume more and do not gain weight at the same time. For example, if you lead a sedentary lifestyle, then in order not to gain kilograms, you should limit yourself to 2200 calories, but if you are very active, then probably 2600 calories will be required.
Step 5: now tell everyone
Do not take an example from vegans who tire anyone who agrees to listen to them with their "conscious decision is not death." Your tribune should be social networks. This is the most effective way to introduce as many people as possible to your diet and initiate a discussion on how it works, which, in turn, will help you change it for the better. The constant publication of their goals and progress towards their achievement in social networks helps to lose weight more effectively. Studies have shown that for every 10 posts there is a 0.5% weight loss. So tweet what you ate.
MH offers: post a photo of this dish that is perfect after your workout: salmon with steamed broccoli, green beans and spinach.
Learn healthy eating habits
The right diet is varied and balanced. When you choose a diet, it is very important to pay attention to how much protein, fruits, vegetables, cereals, dairy products and carbohydrates you need.
- The growth, self-healing and development of the body is facilitated by eating protein-rich foods such as beans, eggs, fish, legumes, meat, milk, nuts and soy. Try to get 10-35% of your daily calories from protein, which is about 200-700 calories.
- Fruits contain vitamins and antioxidants, they are free of fats, they reduce the risk of developing health problems and are important for a balanced diet. Try to consume about 2 cups of fruit per day.
- Vegetables — fresh, frozen, or canned — contain many vitamins (such as A and C), potassium, and fiber, which are very good for your health. In total, you should eat about 2-3 cups of vegetables a day, as well as fruits.
- Carbohydrates are needed for energy balance and strengthening the immune system, so 140-230 grams of carbohydrates should be consumed per day. Eat whole grains such as oatmeal and brown rice, and avoid processed carbohydrates such as white bread and sugared foods.
- Choose nonfat or nonfat dairy products your body needs. Eat three cups of any calcium-rich product every day, whether it’s milk, cheese, or lactose-free dairy products.
Step 6: forget everything you come up with
Start all over again - come up with a new diet and repeat until you reach the end result. According to the International Journal of Obesity, short-term plans lead to weight loss of 5-10% in just three weeks, but the effect of them quickly stabilizes. A constant change of plan will avoid this. In addition, with the increase in the number of followers of each of the diets you invented, they will become generally accepted, and you really wanted something unique, right?
MH offers: "A diet that gives unlimited power"
Fat plays an important role in your diet.
Fats are often associated with fat actually present in the body, so they are not loved. There are good fats necessary to perform important functions in your body - this is the breakdown of vitamins and the fight against fatigue. Experts say fats should make up 30% of the diet or less. Understanding which fats to eat is already a step towards success.
- Include healthy fats in your diet in the form of sesame, olive and canola oil, soy and nuts. Also consume omega-3 fatty acids, which are rich in fish such as salmon, tuna and blue fish.
- Harmful fats, among which trans fats and saturated fats can be distinguished, can provoke cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. These fats can often be found in processed oils or solid (at room temperature) fats, which are found in red meat, cooking oil and butter.
Limit your intake of salt and sugar.
Excess salt (sodium bicarbonate) leads to fluid retention, which is dangerous for the heart and can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke. Likewise, excess sugar leads to obesity, as well as a long list of other health problems.
- Salt intake should be reduced to 2300 mg per day, or even less. Among dishes containing a lot of salt, it is worth limiting the consumption of pizza, soups, mixtures of tacos and salad dressings.
- Sugar consumption should not exceed 24 grams (6 teaspoons) for women and 36 grams (9 teaspoons) for men. Sugar in its manifestations can be called in another way: dextrose, fructose, lactose, maltose, sucrose. Other sources of sugar are maple syrup, raw sugar, corn syrup, powdered sugar, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
Learn different diets to get inspired.
Most of the most famous diets have been tested by nutritionists, doctors and many other experts. Pay attention to diet rules and restrictions to make sure that it really works. Try these diets in your diet. Among the most popular diets are: vegetarianism, Paleo, Atkins diet, diet "Zone".
Method 2. Choose a diet
Decide for a start how many kilograms you want to lose and how fast.
In order to lose half a kilogram per week, it is worth limiting food intake to 500-750 calories. Losing weight at a faster pace is a difficult task. For example, there are 3500 calories and 500 grams of excess weight. To lose 1 kg per week, you should remove 7000 calories from your diet.
Change your calorie intake
This will help to lose weight. Try the easiest ways to reduce calories.
- Eat slower to cut calories. Your brain only realizes in twenty minutes that the body is full. According to some studies, unhurried absorption of food leads to faster saturation.
- Eat salads every day. They have a low calorie content and help to lose weight. Try to make sure that the salad is present in your daily diet.
- Choose almonds as a snack to satisfy your hunger and not exceed the amount of calories you need. 15-20 nuts is a snack, and 50 or more is already a full meal replacement. One study showed that eating almonds as a snack for six months leads to a loss of 18% of body weight.
- Increase your protein intake. Some studies have shown that people who double their protein intake lose a larger percentage of their fat mass. In order to determine the amount of protein you need, you need to weigh yourself, and then multiply the resulting number by 0.36, and then multiply this number by 2. The result is the amount of protein in grams that you should consume. Another plus from eating extra protein is that it improves the metabolism.
- Salsa sauce will be an excellent substitute for more harmful additives. A tablespoon of this sauce contains only 4 calories. This is 20 calories less than sour cream and guacamole, and 70 calories less than Ranch sauce, which includes mayonnaise. In addition, this is an additional portion of vegetables to your diet.
Choose the right proteins
To reduce the number of calories consumed, it is worth giving preference to proteins, rather than fats. Increase the amount of protein in terms of calories. Here are a few types of protein-rich foods.
- Milk - 149 calories per 8 grams of protein
- Eggs - 1 egg contains 78 calories and 8 grams of protein
- Greek yogurt - 15-20 grams of protein per 100 calories
- Cottage cheese - 14 g per 100 calories
- Green soybeans - 100 calories contain 8 grams of protein
Choose carbohydrates wisely
Eating carbohydrates with a high fat content can cause a fraudulent feeling of hunger, even if you are overweight, and lead to even greater accumulation of fat. Choose low-fat carbohydrates like celery, zucchini, avocados or pumpkin.
A low-carb diet not only contributes to weight loss, but also has been shown to help lower blood pressure, blood sugar and triglycerides.
Method 3. Make a Diet
Make the right breakfast. There are many more options for a wholesome breakfast than traditional breakfast consisting of eggs, oatmeal, and sausages.
- Try mixing peanut butter, oatmeal, and raisins. To do this, you will need 1 cup of oatmeal, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 1/4 cup of raisins. You get a quick and easy breakfast. As a healthy drink, select 1 cup of orange juice.
- Beat 2 eggs with two tablespoons of nonfat milk and fry in one teaspoon of vegetable oil. You can add sausages from turkey. Drink apple juice with breakfast, as an addition, you can choose toast from wheat flour with a teaspoon of jam.
- Prepare one serving of tofu omelet. Add flour, a quarter cup of black beans and 2 tablespoons of salsa. As a drink, select a cup of low-fat milk.
Think about what to choose for lunch.
It should be light and contain a large variety of vegetables and other healthy products. There are many creative ways to make lunch delicious. Here are some great examples:
- Make a green salad. You will need 80 grams of tuna, 1 cup chopped lettuce, 1/4 cup grated carrots and 2 tablespoons of French dressing (a mixture of vinegar and olive oil). Whole grain bread slightly oiled is perfect for such a salad. Take 1 cup of low fat milk as a drink.
- Try a banana peanut butter sandwich. He will need 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, a medium banana and two slices of wholemeal bread. In addition to it, you can make chopped celery sticks (half a cup) and a glass of milk with a low fat content as a drink.
- Make a sandwich from a piece of roasted beef, two slices of whole grain bread. Add two slices of tomato, 1 leaf of lettuce and a tablespoon of mayonnaise. In addition to the sandwich, slice the carrots. As a dessert, add apples and grease them with two tablespoons of peanut butter.
Make a delicious dinner
Choose recipes for the family menu, which will be both useful and varied, and will quench even the most refined taste. Here are some examples:
- Try the Red Spicy Fusilli Pasta. Fry 2 cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup parsley in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then add 4 cups of ripe chopped tomatoes along with 1 tablespoon of basil, 1 tablespoon of oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and ground red pepper. After the mixture has thickened, add 4 cups of boiled fusilli pasta there. Top with 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to taste. As a salad, boil peas pods with a teaspoon of margarine. Finish the meal with a piece of bread roll with butter (oil volume - 1 teaspoon).
- Fry the pork chop (150 g), as a side dish, baked potatoes with 2 tablespoons of salsa are suitable. Serve the meat with a cabbage salad, for this, chop 1/2 cup chopped green cabbage and add French dressing (vinegar and olive oil).
- Cook 150 grams of lean beef and serve it with mashed potatoes (cooked in 1 tablespoon of milk and two teaspoons of margarine). Frozen vegetables on one teaspoon of margarine are suitable as a vegetable side dish.
Responsibly choose your meals when you dine out!
Even in cafes, try to choose healthy eating options. Many restaurants even on the menu indicate the number of calories contained in dishes. In order to facilitate your choice, look at the options for a healthy lunch in advance on the restaurant website.
To understand how much you eat, food should be weighed, usually in grams. Here, for example, is a list of how much protein foods weigh:
- A piece of hamburger steak usually weighs 82-113 grams.
- Chicken Breast - 85 grams.
- One egg is 28 grams.
- A quarter cup of beans, peas or tofu is 28 grams.
- Do not get carried away with peanut butter, one tablespoon contains 28 grams.
Method 4: Celebrate Your Achievements
Keep track of progress. To know that you are succeeding is possible only with the help of quantitative measurement. Choosing the desired weight, weighing and size of clothes will help determine how long you will have to diet.
- Weigh yourself before starting a diet and select a specific day of the week when you will celebrate your weight. Be consistent to see gradual changes. Track your weight graphically or using a mobile application to see your progress.
- Do not believe the centimeter tape. Measurements with a centimeter tape will not be able to give a true picture, since the muscles have a slightly different composition than fat. Such measurements may not show that in fact, fat quickly leaves the waist and hips. Take measurements or, if you want, you can ask someone to measure you. As with weight, record all measurement results from time to time.
- Keep track of the days when you followed a diet. Knowing the number of days that you managed to hold out on a diet will help you tune in to further work on yourself. It is easy to be confident when you know the exact result. Try to challenge yourself and mark on the timeline when you want to reach a certain weight, when you can do the maximum amount of bench press exercises, or are going to complete a diet.
Поощряйте себя за успешные результаты
Некоторые эксперты рекомендуют вознаграждать себя за тяжелую работу, но не едой, а чем-нибудь другим, что делает вас счастливым. It can be a massage, buying a book or watching your favorite movie. Some diets may even consist of sweets or gourmet food. Most importantly, do not get carried away as a reward by absorbing excessively high-calorie foods.
Share your diet with others
Be proud of your creation! Your success can become contagious, and when others ask you how you achieved your goal, a story about your achievement will consolidate the result.
- Tell your family and friends about your diet. They may be interested in repeating your path.
- Talk about your successes on the Internet. Share diet details through social networks.
- Share the successes in the gym, there are probably a lot of those who are unlucky with diets.
Cut your diet
Find out which products you can exclude to support the result. Even the smallest changes can have a significant impact.
- Carbohydrates have recently been recommended to limit in use, but they are the key to a healthy diet. They not only prevent disease, but also provide energy and help control weight. It is recommended to exclude sweets (for example, sweets and cakes) and replace them with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
- Avoid sodas and fruit juices as they contain too much sugar. Try not to drink high-calorie drinks. A 350 ml cola glass contains 131 calories. To work out this number of calories, you have to jog for 15 minutes.
- Be careful with restrictions. Some researchers suggest that eating restrictions cause negative feelings and contribute to poor eating habits, which contributes to gaining even more weight.
Record nutritional information on food consumed
There are many ways to motivate yourself to the process of losing weight. For example, put a table of calorie foods on the refrigerator so that it is always in front of your eyes. The menu of many restaurants indicates the number of calories in the dish, it is worth paying attention to. Thanks to this information, it’s easier to choose truly healthy dishes.
- Do not indulge yourself, stick to the plan!
- Congratulate yourself on your success.
- Do not starve.
- Consult a nutritionist in case of a radical change in diet.
SUBSCRIBE to our channels ➳ https://t.me/lady_molodost/ and https://t.me/te_doctor to receive the secrets of beauty, youth and health first!
Do you like the article? Share, click on the button of your favorite social network!