There is nothing tastier than a cake or a chocolate muffin sprinkled with cocoa glaze. Mistresses often know 2 to 3 simple cooking options. But there are a large number of cocoa glaze recipes with sour cream, cream, butter, condensed milk and other ingredients.
Classic recipe: ingredients and proportions
Glaze is an indispensable ingredient in baking various confectionery products: biscuit and shortbread cakes, muffins, marshmallows, cakes. Unlike chocolate fudge, making it much faster and easier. The cake, decorated with icing, looks appetizing and festive beautifully.
Chocolate mirrored icing is the perfect cake decoration
Today, housewives prefer to make icing from ordinary cocoa, which is part of black and milk chocolate. Properly prepared from high-quality cocoa glaze will be the best option for decorating various confectionery "masterpieces". It will help save the situation when the festive pastries failed and it is necessary to make it more presentable.
To prepare ordinary chocolate glaze you will need:
- cocoa - 2 tbsp. spoons
- water - 3 tbsp. spoons
- sugar (or powdered sugar) - 150 g.
- Pour sugar, cocoa into the dishes and mix the ingredients.
- Then gently pour water and beat with a whisk.
- Put on a slow fire and cook the icing, stirring constantly, so as not to burn.
- When the mass begins to bubble, hold it on the fire for another minute and remove.
Cocoa chocolate icing is the best option for decorating cakes or muffins
Replacing the usual ingredients (for example, milk - with water, sour cream - with condensed milk), adding other components, you will get a product with a different texture and taste.
Mistresses note: what should be a good glaze
Some useful culinary tips for making delicious and beautiful cocoa glaze.
- Density. Properly prepared icing from cocoa should, by consistency, resemble thick and fat sour cream. This mass fits well on the surface of the cakes. If it turned out to be very liquid, you can thicken it by adding powdered sugar. Very thick glaze is diluted with boiled hot water.
Correct chocolate icing in texture resembles thick sour cream
Ground and sifted icing sugar - the perfect ingredient for glaze
Before use, cocoa powder must be sieved through a sieve.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice can be added to the icing instead of water
Confectionery spatula is used for applying glaze.
What is icing
Gingerbread cookies, sweets, biscuit cakes and cakes, Easter cakes and gingerbreads are covered with glaze. You can decorate the cake with cream roses or candied fruits, but many types of baking require glaze.
Glaze is a sweet, frozen syrup. You can cover the entire surface with chocolate, part of it or draw a flower on a gingerbread - it's a matter of taste. Chocolate icing made of chocolate or cocoa makes donuts and cakes even tastier and prevents the pastries from getting stained. Chocolate marshmallows and ice cream, glazed strawberries, or glazed curds can be vivid examples of how sweets take on a new look when combined with chocolate.
Types of Glaze
- Sugar. Even a child can mix powdered sugar with water, so this type can be considered basic. 80% of the glaze consists of sugar, when solidified it turns white, although the syrup can be painted over with juice.
- Confectionery. Consists of cocoa products, sugar and fat. This type of glaze is used in the food industry, but it is difficult to call it useful because of doubtful fats. Homemade chocolate icing made from cocoa is a classic option, tasty and easy to prepare.
- Chocolate. In addition to sugar and cocoa, it contains cocoa butter - this is the usual composition of dark chocolate. White chocolate icing also contains milk fat.
Basic rules for the preparation of glaze
This is not complicated, but chocolate icing for the cake, prepared at home, requires compliance with several rules:
This is not complicated, but chocolate icing for the cake, prepared at home, requires compliance with several rules:
- The consistency of homemade chocolate icing resembles sour cream. It should be neither too thick nor liquid, then the mass will quickly settle down in an even layer and will not drain. You can thicken the icing with a spoon of powdered sugar, and dilute it with a small amount of hot water.
- If you need to glue the halves of the cake, prepare a thick mass. Donuts and muffins are watered with liquid glaze.
- It is better to prepare powdered sugar on your own, rather than buying ready-made sugar. Grind granulated sugar in a coffee grinder for several minutes, a sugar cloud will rise from the finished powder.
- If the pastries are very sweet, it is advisable to add lemon juice to the icing instead of water or with it. Pleasant acidity and aroma will make the taste even more interesting.
- The butter in the recipe ensures that the soft fudge will not crumble. Creamy chocolate icing is perfect for cakes.
- The mass will settle down in a perfectly even layer if applied to jam.
- It is better not to make chocolate icing for a cake from porous chocolate.
- To make the color more saturated, add a spoonful of cocoa powder to the chocolate.
- Liquid fondant can be applied in several layers with a brush. It is convenient to draw with glaze using a pastry syringe.
Chocolate Glaze - Top 5 Recipes
All recipes are tested in practice and approved. You can diversify the taste by adding vanillin, cinnamon, a teaspoon of rum or brandy. The fudge should be cooled before application so that you can control how it spreads over the surface.
Before making chocolate icing, stock up with a wide brush, a kitchen silicone spatula or spatula. You can melt butter and chocolate bar in a water bath, it is also allowed to use a microwave for these purposes in slow mode.
What is needed:
- cocoa powder - 2 teaspoons,
- sugar - 4 tbsp. spoons
- drain. oil - 50 g
- milk - ½st.
Cocoa and sugar are mixed in a small bowl. Then milk is added to them, and the mixture is thoroughly mixed again. Prepare the butter in advance. Milk, sugar and cocoa are placed on the stove and heated over a small fire until thickened. When the consistency becomes more liquid, you need to immediately add oil, not forgetting to constantly stir. The icing is cooked until it begins to stretch like honey.
How to cook based on sour cream?
The icing prepared with the addition of sour cream always turns out to be very tasty and easily lies on the surface of the cake.
White or Dark Chocolate Bar Recipe
First of all, before using a bar of any chocolate, make sure that it does not contain any impurities: chopped nuts, hazelnuts, caramel, etc. Otherwise, such chocolate will be unsuitable for further use for the preparation of glaze.
Mirror icing for the cake is able to make a truly real culinary art out of dessert. But when cooking it, you need to constantly maintain a high temperature, otherwise the icing will roll off the cake and a beautiful effect will not work.
Chocolate glaze, which has butter among the ingredients, is also a traditional and quick recipe. It can be used when you urgently need to decorate a cake or other recipe, but all the necessary ingredients are not at hand.
Made of milk chocolate
Who says milk chocolate cannot be used to make dessert icing? He will give the delicacy a delicate and sweet, but not sugary taste.
Icing on milk
- cocoa - 4 teaspoons with a slide,
- brown sugar (or icing sugar) - 6 tsp.,
- butter - 50 g,
- milk 3.2% fat - 6 tsp.
Stages of cooking fill:
- Pour sugar with cocoa into a deep bowl. Mix well and pour warm milk.
- We put the dishes on a slow fire and cook the mass until the sugar is completely dissolved and the foam appears. While cooking, slowly mix the mixture so as not to burn.
- We remove the mixture from the stove and let it stand for a while so that it becomes warm. In this form, you can already glaze the cake and decorate any confectionery. When it hardens, it will turn into a crispy chocolate crust.
If we add softened oil to the warm mass, we get a lighter color of the glaze and a soft consistency. Instead of milk, you can use the same amount of water.
Finished glaze can be watered on any baking surface.
Cocoa Chocolate Cupcake
Chocolate icing for cakes, rolls, pies and creamy desserts can be made from cocoa. The frozen crust will be glossy and dense if you use dark cocoa and high-quality butter. This is the simplest, most basic recipe.
- Milk - 4 tbsp. l
- Butter - 50 g
- Cocoa powder — 1 tbsp. l
- Powdered sugar - 4 tbsp. l
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat or in a water bath.
- Add milk and powdered sugar with vigorous stirring.
- Cook until smooth.
- Gently pour cocoa, stirring the mass, so that no lumps form.
- Heat for 2 minutes.
- Cool a little.
pros: It’s easy to make icing from cocoa, it freezes for a long time, so you can work slowly. Thick mass is easy to level.
Minuses: May not freeze and remain soft.
Condensed milk recipe
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 8% condensed milk - 1 can,
- butter with a fat content of 62–72.5% - a dessert spoon.
- In a deep, non-stick dish, mix cocoa and a can of condensed milk.
- We mix the ingredients well into a homogeneous mass and put it on a small fire. Bring to a boil and cook for another 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add the softened butter and knead thoroughly the whole mass. The icing is ready and you can cover any biscuit or sand cakes.
Dark chocolate icing
The easiest way to make chocolate icing for a cake is from a bar of chocolate. Any variety without filling will do, but with black 72% chocolate frosting, the taste will be more intense.
- Milk - 5 tbsp. l
- 100 gram chocolate bar
- Half a teaspoon of butter
- Lubricate the bottom of the container with oil.
- Break a bar of chocolate and add milk.
- Melt for a couple and stir for several minutes.
- Apply a lot of warm, if it starts to cool, you can slightly warm up.
pros: This is a well-curing chocolate coating, it must be applied warm. The taste depends on the type of chocolate.
Minuses: The glaze layer may be brittle.
White Chocolate Frosting
White icing will make the holiday cake truly elegant and solemn.
- Tiled White Chocolate - 200 g
- Powdered Sugar - 180 g
- 30% cream - 2 tbsp. l
- Melt the shredded chocolate bar in a water bath.
- Pour in powdered sugar, pour in a spoonful of cream and cook until the mass thickens.
- Add a second spoonful of cream.
- Beat with a blender until splendid.
- Use icing without waiting for cooling.
pros: Pleasant texture and delicate taste.
Minuses: It is easy to overheat during cooking, with the formation of insoluble lumps.
Honey and Coconut Milk Recipe
- cocoa - 2 teaspoons,
- half a bar of chocolate
- flower honey - 1 tbsp. a spoon,
- coconut milk - 1 tbsp. a spoon,
- butter - 50 g.
- Rub the chocolate on a coarse grater.
For glaze, grate chocolate on a grater
Flower honey can be used for glaze
Cook icing with honey and coconut milk, stirring constantly
Add butter to warm glaze
Mirror glaze (option 1)
Chocolate mirror glaze looks very festive. Its preparation is somewhat more complicated than described in previous recipes, but the effort will pay off - the cake, biscuit roll, souffle, cookies are transformed like Cinderella before the ball.
- Black or white chocolate - 50 g
- Cocoa - 80 g
- 30 percent cream - 80 ml
- Water - 150 ml
- Powdered Sugar - 250 g
- Gelatin - 8 g
- Soak gelatin in water. The packaging always contains detailed instructions about the time, temperature and volume of water.
- In a saucepan, mix sugar and cocoa powder, pour water and cream.
- Heat over low heat. As soon as the bubbles appear, remove from the stove.
- Grind chilled chocolate on a grater or in a blender.
- Add chocolate and gelatin to the mass and mix well.
- Strain through a sieve and cool to room temperature.
- Put the chilled cake on the wire rack and glaze it.
- Send the cake in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
Sour Cream Recipe
- sugar (or powdered sugar) - 6 teaspoons with a slide,
- cocoa - 2–2.5 tsp. with a slide
- fat sour cream (fat content 21% or more) - 4 tsp.,
- butter - 2 tsp.
- In a bowl with a thick bottom, mix sour cream, sugar and sifted through a cocoa sieve.
To make the glaze, mix sour cream, cocoa and sugar
Cook icing over low heat, stirring continuously.
The icing, which is prepared on good sour cream, does not quickly harden, does not flow, therefore, it is perfect for filling holiday cakes.
Mirror glaze (option 2)
The recipe uses glucose syrup. The ingredient is well known to confectioners and experienced housewives, but most hear it for the first time. This is a transparent and viscous product of honey consistency, it has a very pleasant caramel taste without sugar sugary. Confectionery glucose is made from starch and sold in plastic containers. A syrup is used when baking muffins so that cakes, rolls and pies do not stale for a long time. Glaze glucose is needed for elasticity.
- Glucose Syrup - 150 g
- Powdered Sugar - 150 g
- Water - 135 ml
- Condensed milk - 100 g
- Chocolate - 150 g
- Gelatin - 15 g
- Pour gelatin with 60 ml of water
- Mix glucose syrup, powdered sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Heat the mass over low heat. Stir until smooth and avoid boiling.
- In another container, melt the crushed chocolate.
- Add condensed milk and gelatin. Stir.
- Add hot syrup and mix vigorously; you can use a blender or mixer.
- Cool to room temperature. If time permits, send the packet of icing to the refrigerator for several hours, then slightly warm it by lowering it in hot water.
- Apply to chilled surface.
pros: The pronounced taste of chocolate. Ready glaze can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks. Before use, you need to heat to + 37 ° C. Frozen gelatin glaze does not crumble or stick.
Minuses: In case of violation of technology or temperature conditions, the glaze may not freeze. It is necessary to level the mass on the surface with clear short movements, and this requires some experience.
How to apply chocolate icing
Glazing is not a very difficult process, although it is not always the first time. Even an imperfect layer of chocolate will not ruin your cake, and with experience you will create your own set of rules. We can warn you against the basic mistakes of a beginning confectioner:
- The coating should cool slightly and thicken before application, but do not wait until it coalesces into a lump.
- It is advisable to cover a cake with thick cakes before glazing with a thin layer of jam. Coat the sides and top with apricot or strawberry jam a few hours before glazing. Then place the cake on the wire rack and pour the chocolate. Level the surface with a spatula or a pastry brush. After that, send the finished cake to the refrigerator.
- It is more convenient to prepare the icing in a water bath - so nothing will burn and it will be easier for you to achieve a uniform consistency.
- Begin to apply chocolate mass in the direction from bottom to top and from edge to middle.
- First, apply a thin layer of chocolate, which will become the basis for the finish. Cool in the refrigerator. After this, the second layer will lie flat.
- If any irregularities appear on the surface during the application of glaze, sprinkle with water and smooth with a spatula.
- Too thin glaze can be thickened with a little flour.
A theoretical cooking course is necessary, but you will gain real experience only in practice. If chocolate glaze is not perfect at the first cooking, do not be discouraged - it happens almost always. Practice small cupcakes or buns, and very soon you will expertly turn the cake into a piece of pastry art.
Author: Elena Staretskaya specially for the site Chocolate. Today
Cocoa Mirror Glaze
- cocoa - 80 g.,
- fat cream - 80 ml,
- boiled water - 150 ml,
- sugar - 1 cup
- gelatin - 8 gr.
- Soak gelatin in warm water.
- Pour sugar (or powder) into the dishes, cocoa, sifted on a fine sieve, and then pour in the cream and water.
- Mix with a wooden spoon and put on the stove. Cook on low heat - bring the mass to a boil, stirring, and when it starts to boil, remove from the stove.
- To avoid lumps, filter the icing through a sieve. When it cools down a bit, you can cover the pastry baking.
- Чтобы глазурь ровно легла на поверхность торта необходимо аккуратно и равномерно разливать её по всей поверхности коржа, помогая при этом длинной металлической или силиконовой лопаткой.
Такая глазурь застывает в течение двух часов, и затем торт можно подавать на праздничный стол. Особенно вкусными получаются лёгкие торты с зеркальной глазурью.
Cold starch-based cocoa glaze
- corn starch (or potato) - 1 tbsp. a spoon,
- sifted cocoa - 3 tbsp. spoons
- sugar or sifted icing sugar - 4 tbsp. spoons
- cold boiled water - 3 tbsp. spoons.
- Pour cocoa, starch and sugar into the dishes.
Mix all the ingredients for a cold glaze
Knead the icing well until smooth.
It is important to use ice water for cold glaze!
- butter - 50 g,
- vinegar 9% - 1 teaspoon,
- cocoa - 8 teaspoons,
- water - 50 ml
- vanillin - 1 pack,
- sugar - 15 tsp.
- We mix all the ingredients in a thick-walled dish, except for oil and vanillin.
- We put the bowl on the stove, turn on the smallest fire and, constantly stirring the mass, bring to a boil.
Cook the mixture for glaze over low heat
Add soft butter to the mass.
Add vanillin to the icing for flavor
Decorations for cold chocolate cakes
Recipe for Protein, Orange or Lemon Juice
- sifted powdered sugar - 1 cup,
- egg whites - 1 or 2 pcs.,
- vanillin - to taste
- cocoa - 2 teaspoons,
- freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice - 1 tsp.
- In a deep bowl, mix the powdered sugar, cocoa and vanillin.
- We put it in a water bath and pour the juice of lemon or orange into the mass, add egg white.
- We carefully rub the resulting mass with a wooden spoon to get a uniform uniform mixture.
- Remove the finished glaze from the burner and set aside so that it cools slightly.
- Water the cake or any other pastry baking.
To diversify the classic recipe for chocolate icing from cocoa, it is possible to include various aromatic spices and spices in it: cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, vanillin, ground ginger, ground nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and others).