High pace of life, stressful situations affect mental and physical health. After a stormy day, a person goes to bed, thinks about how to quickly fall asleep and sleep, but in his thoughts he returns to problems, plans the next day. The result is insomnia, severe awakening, headache and poor mood. Constant lack of sleep is manifested by dizziness, fatigue, irritability, decreased performance.
People themselves create situations that interfere with rest. To get enough sleep at night, you need
provide conditions for a full recovery of forces.
A few secrets to a good sleep
In order to sleep and get enough sleep you need to follow simple rules.
- Provide the body with magnesium. Improper nutrition, stressful situations lead to a lack of magnesium, which is necessary to maintain the order of passage of the phases of sleep and muscle relaxation. Magnesium deficiency can cause restless legs syndrome, cramps, early awakenings. Unpleasant sensations in the lower extremities make movements, interfere with sleep at night. Magnesium is involved in the synthesis of melatonin, the lack of which disrupts the depth and cycles of sleep. To help fill the deficiency of magnesium: cocoa, cheese, buckwheat, oatmeal, almonds, prunes, dried apricots or the drug Magne B6 and its analogues.
- Do not know how to sleep, observe biological rhythms. Often patients with insomnia ask: "What time do I have to go to bed?" Try to go to bed from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. and get up at the same time in the morning. Researchers have determined that the nervous system and all organs rest from 22 to 2 at night. After 5 o’clock in the morning, sleep becomes restless, and metabolism is accelerated.
- Load your body during the day, you’d better fall asleep and get enough sleep at night. People whose profession is connected with intellectual work cannot fall asleep because they do not get tired physically at work. Lack of motor activity contributes to the development of diseases of the heart and blood vessels, leading to sleep disturbance.
- Hiking and cycling in the fresh air, swimming, rhythmic gymnastics 3-4 hours before bedtime are a little tiring, relieve neuropsychic stress, improve mood. After performing sports exercises, the production of melatonin (sleep hormone) increases. In addition, moderate physical activity contributes to the destruction of the stress hormone (cortisol), which provokes a restless state, increased blood pressure, insomnia at night and sleepiness during the day.
Physical overload is stressful for the body and increases cortisol.
- Do not go to bed with a full stomach or hunger. Many people complain: “I can’t get enough sleep, I’m falling asleep badly, sometimes I don’t sleep at all, although I go to bed at the same time.” The quality of sleep is related to food. Refuse heavy foods after 6pm. To prevent hunger from falling asleep, you can eat dairy products, vegetable salad, scrambled eggs, low-fat fish.
- Leave negative thoughts outside the bedroom. You cannot sleep if you scroll through the situation in your head, get angry, take offense. To distract and calm down, you need to read, watch a light film or listen to pleasant music. Think less about how to fall asleep quickly and why I'm not sleeping again. Do not look at the watch with thoughts on how to start getting enough sleep. Take a comfortable pose, dream of a good one.
- Do not take sedatives uncontrollably.
Sleeping pills can replace:
- a glass of warm milk
- tea from lemon balm or valerian,
- a glass of water with honey and lemon juice,
- inhaling the scent of lavender or valerian.
Natural sleeping pills
With the onset of darkness, the pineal gland begins to produce melatonin, a sufficient amount of which accelerates the onset of falling asleep. The hormone is produced not just in the dark, but on condition that the person is in a dark room. The light-sensitive retinal pigment sends information to the pineal gland about the level of illumination. The brain can be fooled if you do not turn on bright light in the room in the evening. At night, if the bedroom windows face the illuminated street, you can use the blindfold.
The bedroom is designed to sleep in it. There is no place for a TV, computer. How to get a good night's sleep if a husband watches an action movie or knocks on a keyboard. A chic, thoughtful interior is conducive to relaxation. But not everyone even has a separate room. To arrange a berth, it is necessary based on the circumstances. Everyone can choose beautiful bedding, a comfortable mattress and pillow. When choosing bedding, you need to focus on your preferences. The sleeper needs fresh air. The most acceptable temperature for sleep is 19–20 ° C.
In what position is it better to sleep
Everyone chooses for himself the most comfortable pose. If you lie on your stomach, your spinal muscles become stronger, but breathing is difficult. Due to the unnatural position of the cervical spine, the vertebral artery partially overlaps, and the blood supply to the brain deteriorates. In the posture on the back, the load on the spine is minimal, the abdominal organs are not compressed, the muscles relax. The situation is not suitable for patients suffering from sleep apnea and those who snore. During sleep on the side, the airways do not close, enough oxygen enters the organs, and the load on the lower back decreases. But sometimes hands or feet become numb. If you don’t know how to lie down and how to sleep to get enough sleep, try falling asleep in a different position. You may have trouble sleeping because of a situation that seems convenient to you, but your internal organs are uncomfortable.
How much you need to sleep in order to wake up alert and rested depends on biorhythms, age, loads. The need for sleep in the same person may vary. After hard work, during the period of illness, the body needs a long rest. Older people get enough sleep. Women’s brains work more intensively, they need to sleep more to allow the brain to recover. At least 7-8 hours of quality sleep per day is a condition of good health during the day.
- physical exercise
- cold and hot shower,
- bright light,
- coffee with a slice of black chocolate.
No work is a substitute for health, to be productive rest more. Harmful to sleep too much. Systematic rashes weaken the body, can cause headaches, increase the risk of heart disease. If with a sufficient number of hours of sleep you want to sleep constantly, you need to contact specialists. This may indicate metabolic disturbance, diabetes mellitus, anemia.
It seems that everyone knows the truths, but for various reasons a person does not pay attention to such trifles. And having earned insomnia, he comes to an appointment with a specialist asking how to learn how to get enough sleep. Good sleep depends on a healthy lifestyle. The best prevention of insomnia is a moderate diet, physical activity, a positive attitude towards life, rejection of stimulants and bad habits.
List of used literature:
- Zepelin H. Normal age related changes in sleep // Sleep Disorders: Basic and Clinical Research / ed. by M. Chase, E. D. Weitzman. - New York: SP Medical, 1983. - P. 431-434.
- Morrissey M., Duntley S., Anch A., Nonneman R. Active sleep and its role in the prevention of apoptosis in the developing brain. // Med Hypotheses: journal. - 2004. - Vol. 62, no. 6. - P. 876-9. - PMID 15142640.
- Marks G., Shaffery J., Oksenberg A., Speciale S., Roffwarg H. A functional role for REM sleep in brain maturation. // Behav Brain Res: journal. - 1995. - Vol. 69, no. 1-2. - P. 1-11. - PMID 7546299.
- Healthy sleep
The ability to relax is not such a trifle as it might seem at first glance. Many qualities depend on this skill, such as goodwill, optimism, stress tolerance, and susceptibility. In the east, relaxation is generally considered a sign of holiness, and yoga is a system of exercises to achieve total relaxation, in which a person receives secret knowledge. But we will not go into mysticism, but just say that in this case it is important for us to learn how to relax in order to help the body free itself from mental debris and muscle clamps. Otherwise, the dream will not be as deep and useful as the result - it will need more.
2. The setting
The main role here is played by the microclimate: excessive heat and cold can significantly increase your need for sleep. And even if you have time for this, the well-being and mood with which you will rise are definitely not worth it. In addition, it would be very useful if you developed the habit of ventilating the room before going to bed, even if it seems to you that “it will do so”. A person has a tendency to get used to a lot, and you may simply not notice that the air in the room has become stale.
A very important point! No food 5 hours before bedtime! If you can’t refuse dinner, then eat stewed vegetables at around 16:00 and warm milk with honey, fennel and nutmeg after 18:00 or just before bedtime. Fennel and nutmeg are spices that will not only help you relax and fall asleep quickly, but will also deepen your sleep. And milk at night is a very good remedy for those who suffer from the habit of abusing dinner. In addition, if you drink it at night every day - it nourishes the nervous system, and as a result - improves memory, the ability to learn, and increases resistance to stress.
4. Lie down early
Ideally at 22:00. "The hour of sleep before 00:00 is two hours of sleep after”, Claimed Paul Bragg, and not only him! Three thousand years BC, the wise Indians wrote in their Vedas almost the same thing.
A warm shower before bedtime is not only a hygienic necessity, but also an additional means of relaxation. In the morning - a contrast or cold shower, and in the evening - warm. The main thing - do not confuse!
7. Sleep alone
Even if you are madly in love with your soul mate, it is still better to sleep alone. Sex is sex, but for sleep it is better to have another place where peace and silence always reign. I won’t talk about sleeping with a cat or dog - those who do this can’t imagine how harmful this is.
Have good dreams and good mood in the morning!
Good night sleep
1. Stop using your phone before going to bed.
You do not need to chat online with friends and wander on social networks in the evening before going to bed, because at this time your brain produces melatonin, a hormone that regulates circadian rhythms. The light from the screen of your smartphone and monitor reduces hormone production and makes it harder for you to fall asleep.
2. Sleep in total darkness.
Some people find it easier to fall asleep in a not-so-dark room, while others like to wake up with the sun shining through the window. But for a good and effective awakening, it’s worth falling asleep in the dark, and, waking up in the morning, open the curtains or blinds so that the sunlight rushes into the house. Thus, you will cheer up much faster.
How to fall asleep quickly
3. Take a hot bath before going to bed.
Usually, in the evening, our body temperature drops a little, which makes us sleepy. If you take a hot bath, your body temperature will change. Due to changes in body temperature, you will want to go to bed early. In addition, a hot bath helps to relax and calm down.
4. Turn off the heaters.
Of course, we all want to fall asleep in a warm room and leave the heater on for the whole evening or all night. This applies more to periods when winter has not yet arrived, but summer is already behind. The ideal temperature for sleeping is between 15 and 19 degrees Celsius. Perhaps that is why you cannot fall asleep normally.
How to fall asleep at night
5. Wear socks.
Before your body shuts off completely, it will direct the flow of blood into your arms and legs. But if your legs are warm, the blood vessels will expand, your body temperature will drop a little, and you will fall asleep faster.
6. Fill yourself with energy.
Try to wake up 5 minutes earlier than usual to get a little warm and bright light from the sun. If the weather is cloudy, just fill the room with light: turn on the room lighting or open the curtains. Brightness will cheer you up and your mood will improve.
7. It would not be superfluous to do exercises in the morning.
Physical activity helps not only wake up your body, but also improve your mood and energize you for the whole day. Nevertheless, it is worth waking up a little earlier in order to have time to exercise at least 5 minutes.
8. Exercise throughout the day.
Exercising at the same time every day also improves your sleep. Your body will learn to understand when to spend energy, and when to disconnect and relax.
The best dream
9. Hard work, good sleep.
If you are actively working and doing physical exercises, your body will not only look better, but it will be easier to fall asleep too. It is much nicer to go to bed after a hard day and a grueling workout.
10. Early breakfast.
A good hearty breakfast wakes you up and your metabolism. It provides enough energy for efficient operation. Try to wake up and have breakfast at the same time. It will also help you to avoid excess weight.