Delicious vegetarian sauces: recipes with photos and tips for beginners
Delicious vegetarian sauces are an important addition to main courses and snacks. Who will argue that a good sauce adds a piquant note to the culinary composition and makes the meal tastier and brighter? Ordinary pasta, baked potatoes, vegetable chips and slices can sparkle with completely different colors, if you add pesto sauce, lean bechamel or homemade mayonnaise to this. Moreover, the preparation of a gas station does not require much time, special skills and the search for complex products. Well, recipes for vegetarian sauces with photos and step-by-step instructions can be found on our website!
What is the difference between sauces in vegetarian cuisine? Of course, the absence of harmful animal products in the composition! Otherwise, everything is very simple and affordable. Indeed, in any kitchen it is not difficult to find a couple of ripe tomatoes, olive or sunflower oil, herbs, onions and other ingredients. There are a huge number of simple and tasty recipes for gravy from plant products.
There are recipes in this section:
- original dressings for fruit and vegetable salads,
- creamy lean pasta and rice sauces,
- tomato sauce for vegetarian main courses,
- fruit, berry sweet sauces and toppings.
Using the recipes in this section, you can easily cook a delicious dinner, an original and healthy lunch, or a nutritious and hearty snack. The cooking ideas published on our website can be of great help for every day, on holidays and for decorating a vegetarian table for any reason.
How to cook vegetarian sauces?
If you take a recipe for vegetarian tomato sauce, it is easy to understand that it is not much different from the classic cooking instruction. The composition of such gravy includes tomatoes, vegetable oil, sugar, salt, spices, herbs. The main emphasis is on the selection of tasty and healthy products. Tomatoes of any kind are suitable for this sauce, but it is advisable to choose juicy and ripe. Oil can be taken olive or vegetable. Sugar is advisable to take cane. Greens and spices - any favorite! Refueling is preparing quickly, it will turn out very tasty. And you can serve this option of gravy for anything: potatoes, pasta, green beans, cauliflower, rice, etc.
Vegetarian shawarma or lean cakes with this sauce will go with a bang. Your guests will certainly be impressed, and the family will say “thank you” for the tasty and bright addition to everyday dishes.
Want to share your secret of cooking tasty and healthy lean dishes? Send your recipe. If this is not already on this resource, we will definitely post it in the appropriate section.
An interesting combination of peanut butter and coke milk makes this sauce easy and tasty. It is perfect for salads, noodles, rice, legumes and vegetables.
- 200 gr. peanut butter
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of sriracha or other hot sauce,
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar.
1. In a bowl, mix and whisk the ingredients until a smooth texture. Try it, if necessary add hot sauce or agave nectar.
Marinara tomato sauce
Now is the time for ripe tomatoes, so it's time to cook a delicious, juicy sauce of fresh tomatoes - marinara. This sauce can be rolled up in jars and enjoy the bright taste of summer in winter.
- 1.1-1.3 kg of ripe, juicy tomatoes,
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil,
- 1 large onion, chopped,
- 6-8 cloves of chopped garlic,
- 170 gr tomato paste
- ¼ glasses of dry red or white wine (optional, but recommended),
- ½ cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of a mixture of Italian herbs (or 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, ½ teaspoon of dried basil, and ½ teaspoon of dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste,
- Fresh basil leaves for decoration.
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put tomatoes in it, remove from heat and let stand for a minute or two. Remove the tomatoes, let cool slightly and peel them. You can not remove the skin, but then pieces of the skin will come across, which is not very nice with food.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and fry until transparent. Add the garlic, and continue to fry until the onions are golden and soft.
3. Cut coarsely tomatoes. Add to the pan with the rest of the ingredients and mix.
4. Bring to a boil and reduce gas to a minimum. Stew 45-60 minutes of density.
5. Using a submersible blender, chop the mashed tomatoes.
6. Serve hot with hot pasta or as a pizza sauce, or in any other recipe that needs tomato sauce.
7. Decorate the finished dish with basil.
We used marinara sauce in eggplant rolls with cheese, and it can also be used in any vegetarian Lasagna recipe.
This fragrant red onion seasoning is perfect for grilled vegetables, any vegan protein dishes, legumes and rice.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil,
- ¼ cup dry red wine,
- 4 cups chopped red onion,
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar,
- 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar,
- 1-2 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger.
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add wine and onions and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If liquid evaporates, add a small amount of water.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer another 15 minutes. Cool. Fold in a jar and store in the refrigerator.
Seasoning is best done at room temperature.
This vegetarian sauce is good for green salads, potatoes, fried vegetables and fried tofu. A delicious custard sauce that is very easy to prepare.
- ½ cup vegetable stock,
- ½ cup of vegetable milk,
- 1 tablespoon minced sage (not powder),
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast,
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder,
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder,
- ¼ teaspoon of liquid smoke,
- juice of 1 lemon,
- a pinch of salt,
- black or white pepper.
1. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and beat with a blender until smooth.
2. Put the pot on the fire and stir, bring the sauce to a boil. Once it boils, immediately remove from heat and mix well.
Cheese pesto sauce
The classic pesto sauce has a creamy taste and aroma of basel. It goes well with pasta. But it can be used in sandwiches, as well as gravy for pizza and seasoning for potato salad.
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup walnuts or toasted pine nuts,
- ¼ cups of olive oil,
- ¼ cups of grated vegetarian parmesan (use the recipe for homemade parmesan or vegan parmesan)
- ½ lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic.
1. Mix all the ingredients in a blender. The mass should be homogeneous with coarse inclusions.
Serve to warm or hot pasta.
If you want a hotter sauce, add more garlic.
Cheese-free pesto sauce
This sauce is for those who do not like cheese, but love pesto! Spinach, in combination with basil, slightly softens the taste of the sauce. Pesto becomes softer and more tender. Perfect for pasta, rice, potatoes, some types of salad or as an additive to soup.
- ½-1 cup basil leaves,
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil,
- ½ lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, chop,
- ¼ cup pine nuts or ½ cup walnuts (you can not use nuts if you want to make the sauce less calorie)
- 170 gr spinach, rinse and drain,
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
1. Mix all ingredients except salt and pepper in a food processor and beat until mashed.
2. Add salt and pepper, mix gently and, if necessary, add more lemon juice.
Serve directly to hot pasta or another dish.
Very light cold sauce for grilled dishes, tofu and other dishes. It has only three simple ingredients. It is very tasty, and you will not be indifferent to this vegetarian sauce.
- ½ cup vegetarian mayonnaise (use the recipe vegan cashew mayonnaise),
- 1 tablespoon of brine
- 1-2 teaspoons of finished mustard.
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
You can store in the refrigerator for about a week ..
Simple mushroom sauce
If you like mushrooms, then this sauce is for you! It goes well with tofu, brown rice, hamburgers, but it goes well with mashed potatoes. It can be prepared both from champignons and from forest mushrooms.
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce,
- 200 gr. mushrooms, champignons or boiled forest mushrooms, if you use champignons, peel and chop them first, if boiled forest - chop,
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch,
- ½ teaspoon dried basil,
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, optional but recommended.
1. Combine the broth and soy sauce in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the starch with enough water to dissolve.
3. Pour starch into the boiling broth slowly, constantly stirring the broth. Stir well and cook until thickened.
4. Remove from heat, add basil and nutritional yeast and mix well.
What is vegetarian and vegan cuisine
Vegetarianism– it’s just a person’s refusal to eat meat of any animals and fish. Many do not eat and meat of marine animals, seafood. There are quite a lot of vegetarianism, in some of them it is forbidden to use even honey or milk (except for breastfeeding). Vegetarians can use butter and cottage cheese for food.
The strictest type of vegetarianism is veganism and a raw food diet.
Veganism - refusal of a person to consume any protein of animal origin (except for breastfeeding babies). Vegans eat only plant foods: vegetables, cereals, whole nuts, algae. Many of them are supporters of raw food diet. When supporters of such food prepare sauces for themselves, recipes are selected on the basis of these considerations.
Wild garlic sauce
In the spring, when fresh vegetables appear, I especially want young salads. And they need vegetarian sauces. And even better, when spring sauce is added to such salads. It will be a real vegan raw spring sauce.
We will need
- Ramson - 150-200 grams
- Walnuts - 75 grams
- Vegetable oil - 50 grams
- Salt, sugar - to taste
- lemon juice - 1-2 teaspoons
How to cook
- Randomly chop the wild leek, fold into a blender and chop.
- Add vegetable oil gradually.
- Lightly crush nuts, add to wild garlic.
- Add all the seasonings, beat until a homogeneous mixture is obtained.
In the summer heat it is so nice to enjoy the sauce with the cheerful name tzatziki. What else will please, it can be prepared as dressing for salads, meat, fish dishes, pasta or make it more liquid. As such, it will be an excellent basis for summer cold soups - such as okroshka.
Such raw food dishes are especially useful in the hot season.
- Cucumber - 2 pcs.
- salt - 0.5 tsp.
- greens - 1 bunch
- mint - 2 branches
- garlic - 2 cloves
- yogurt without filler or kefir - 150 ml
- sugar - 0.5 tsp
- sour cream - 2 tbsp. spoons
How to cook
- First you need to prepare the cucumbers. They are cleaned and cut into small cubes or rubbed onto a coarse grater. Then spread on a towel so that excess moisture from the glass.
- Chop greens and mint.
- Pour yogurt into a separate bowl and put sour cream, squeeze the garlic there and mix everything.
- Add cucumbers and herbs, salt and mix again.
To taste, it is almost indistinguishable from ordinary. This will undoubtedly delight people who observe the fast - for them this sauce will become a real lifesaver, when it will be necessary to season the same salads or flavor the side dishes. One of the ingredients in it is peas.
We will need
- Pea flakes - 2-3 tbsp. spoons
- Water - 50 ml
- Vegetable oil - 200-250 grams
- white pepper, ground - 0.5 tsp
- lemon juice - 1-2 tbsp. spoons
- sugar - 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- mustard - 1 teaspoon
Sugar can be replaced with honey, 1 teaspoon. If it is thick, mix it with mustard without heating.
Servings: About 8
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup shallots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dry sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground