Long Island Ice Tea is a unique alcoholic cocktail, which harmoniously combines five types of alcohol: gin, vodka, rum, tequila, orange liquor. From English, its name translates as “Iced Tea from Long Island.” I will teach you how to make this cocktail at home.
Long Island Iced Tea (Long Island Iced Tea) - a popular alcoholic cocktail with a strength of 28% with simple cooking technology and simple ingredients. The appearance and smell resembles iced tea. Due to these properties, during the Prohibition Act in the USA (1920-1933), it was served under the guise of a soft drink.
Composition and proportions:
- vodka - 20 ml
- golden rum - 20 ml,
- gin - 20 ml
- silver tequila - 20 ml,
- orange liquor (Cointreau or Triple-sec) - 20 ml,
- lemon juice - 20 ml
- cola - 100 ml
- ice cubes - 150-200 grams.
Classic Long Island Ice Tea Recipe
The cooking technology consists of five stages:
1. Fill a tall glass with ice cubes.
2. Alternately add gin, vodka, rum, tequila, liquor, juice and cola.
3. Stir all the ingredients with a spoon.
4. Top decorate the cocktail with a slice of lemon or cherry.
5. Serve with a straw.
There is an alternative cocktail recipe that uses different proportions, details in the video.
Attention! Long Island Ice Tea is drunk very easily, but its high strength leads to rapid intoxication, I recommend drinking no more than two servings at a time.
History reference. There are three plausible versions of the appearance of this cocktail. None of them could be proved, so we will briefly consider each.
1. Disguise. The most beautiful version. During Prohibition, Long Island bartenders (part of New York) learned how to make a strong cocktail in appearance that resembled iced tea. Visitors and owners of the establishments were not afraid of a fine, because the police had no reason to check.
2. Competition. New Yorkers loved to play a fun game - to walk along Long Island while drinking a drink in every bar they met. The winner was the one who himself reached the end of the street. Knowing this, the bartenders of the first institutions on the way of the players went to the trick. They began to offer visitors a very strong cocktail, one portion of which knocked down.
As a result, competitors simply could not move on. They remained in the first oncoming bar, continuing to spend their money there. After some time, the rules of the game changed, people began to compete in the amount of “strong ice tea” drunk.
3. Alcohol and love. According to this version, Long Island Ice Tea was invented by bartender Robert Butt. A man who loved to drink whiskey often came to his place. But after a hefty dose of alcohol, he lost control of himself and arranged a brawl. His girlfriend made him make a choice - she or whiskey. The man chose a lover.
At the next party, the girl allowed her beloved to drink only iced tea. When she left, the man asked a friend of the bartender to add strong alcohol to his tea. The bartender was not at a loss and poured everything he had at hand: vodka, gin, rum, tequila and orange liquor. No one noticed the substitution. Later, instead of tea, they began to add cola to the cocktail.
Vodka - 15 ml
Gin - 15 ml
Tequila silver - 15 ml,
Light Rum - 15 ml,
Liqueur with orange flavor - 15 ml,
Lemon juice - 25 ml,
Sugar Syrup - 30 ml,
Coca-Cola - 100 ml
Cola is only needed to color the drink, so its amount can be reduced. The liquor is usually Cointreau or Triple Sec. In different recipes, the amount of alcohol may vary slightly, but the main components remain unchanged.
Various options for a classic cocktail:
Each of these options is interesting in its own way. As a rule, one or several components changes at once.
“Alaska Ice Tea” - Coca-Cola disappears in the recipe and the Blue Curaço liquor appears and the drink turns blue.
“Long Island peach - tequila is being replaced with peach-flavored schnapps.
Long Beach Ice Tea - Cranberry juice is used, not Cola.
“Tokyo Ice Tea” - tequila gives way to melon liquor, and Cola gives way to lemonade.
The story of the birth of the drink: "Do not trust your eyes ..."
Focus with tea
The cocktail ("Long Island Ice Tea" (Long Island Ice-tea Cocktail)) appeared in America and he owes his birth to the "dry law" that prevailed in those days. Since there was a strict ban on drinking alcohol, the Americans created a drink that in appearance looked like ordinary black tea. Therefore, they drank it from tea cups, sometimes adding lemon. They say that such a “trick” worked out perfectly, because the smell of it was identical to tea. The name comes from the name of the American island of Long Island, the bartenders of which came up with this wonderful idea.
Officially, the drink (Long Island Ice-tea Cocktail) was recognized only in the 1970s. It is said that the local game contributed to this. Its rules were as follows: walk from start to finish Long Island Street, without missing a single bar. At the same time, in every drinking establishment you need to try a glass of alcohol. The victory was for those who came to the finish line with their own feet. The bartenders, in order to delay the client at home, were tricky, serving visitors this soft, but rather strong drink. Then the rules of the game changed and it was necessary to drink a portion of “strong iced tea”.
The woman is to blame
There is another version. Once, a man asked him to give him a drink in a bar on Long Island, but so that his companion would take him for tea with lemon. The bartender mixed all the ingredients of a later traditional drink except cola and added iced black tea for color and smell. That day, the girl did not suspect anything.
Here is such an interesting drink with an amazing story about color and smell. Try to make a “chameleon” cocktail yourself and appreciate its unique taste.
Long Island Cocktail: Composition
Long Island cocktail can be called difficult to prepare, as it has many components that must be remembered in order to learn how to make it. In addition, the cocktail is very strong (28%). The composition of the Long Island cocktail includes:
- 20 ml of vodka
- 20 ml silver tequila
- 20 ml gin (Bombay Sapphire works great)
- 20 ml of white rum (you can take Bacardi)
- 20 ml orange liqueur (Cointreau or Triple Sec)
- 80 ml cola
- 200 g ice (cubed)
- lemon wedges
What to use?
Initially, this drink was created for individual consumption, that is, it is not intended to mix it with other drinks and dishes. But it is precisely because of its rich and complex taste that the Long Island Ice Tea has recently been served as an aperitif on many evenings. And indeed, despite the relatively low strength, such a cocktail really excites appetite.
Since it is made on the basis of strong alcoholic drinks, a fairly high-calorie snack can be selected for it. A variety of meat and cheese cuts, as well as olives and olives, are best suited. But it is worthwhile to understand that drinking a drink with them should be done only if it acts as an aperitif or just an independent alcohol that is not tied to a meal.
Serving this drink as an independent dish, it is allowed to offer slices of orange or lemon, as well as small salty snacks, crackers or nuts.
In extremely rare cases, Long Island Ice Tea can be served as a digestif. Then it is better to serve fruit, as well as hot tea or coffee.
But professional sommeliers, still strongly recommend drinking such a cocktail in its pure form, without mixing it with other foods and drinks.
The Long Island Aist Tee American cocktail is very popular today not only in the States, but throughout the world. His fans are people of different ages and social statuses, but they all have one thing in common - true devotion to the real taste of this cocktail.
We also strongly advise you to prepare a bloody Mary at home.
Many drinking establishments today offer their visitors various modernized recipes for this alcoholic drink. However, to begin acquaintance with him, it still follows with a cocktail prepared according to the original recipe. This is the only way to appreciate its pristine taste and unique aftertaste.
Long Island Ice Tea Cocktail Recipe
Of course, to date, a fair amount has accumulated options for making a cocktail. To begin, consider the classic way to cook Long Island. We need tubes, a cocktail spoon and a tall glass, bartenders call it (highball). In the photo of the Long Island cocktail, you can see how the glass and the drink itself look. Now it's time to learn how to make a Long Island Ice Tea.
- In Highball we put two small slices of lemon.
- Then fill the entire glass with ice cubes.
- We’ll fill in all the components of Long Island except High Cola: vodka, gin, rum, tequila, orange liquor.
- Squeeze a small slice of lemon into a cocktail.
- Pour the cola to the edges of the glass and gently mix all the ingredients with a cocktail spoon.
- Garnish Long Island with a thin slice of lemon, placing it on the edge of the glass.
Let's look at other cooking methods and recipes for the Long Island cocktail ...
- Girls will not resist properly cooked Raspberry Long Island. For him, we will add raspberry vodka and rum to the cocktail. The color will change to seductively pink, and the taste will remain just as strong and dizzy. You will win the heart of the chosen one if you prepare her a good Long Island or Raspberry Long Island cocktail.
- To get Electric Ice Tea, you need to use Blue Curacao and lemon soda. In the light of a nightclub, a blue cocktail will give the impression of a drink that is electrically charged.
- For Miami Ice Tea we take cranberry juice, lemon juice, tequila and peach schnapps. After drinking 2 such cocktails, you can fly away not only in Miami. A fairly strong drink is intoxicating instantly, so be careful to have fun and not suffer from a headache the next morning.
- For a lesser-known but deliciously delicious Tokyo Ice Tea, mix in a separate glass 20 ml of the following ingredients: vodka, white tequila, white rum, Cointreau, lemon fresh, Midori melon Japanese ice and ice. Then strain into a glass of collins and fill the glass with a sprite. Melon liqueur and sprite will give Long Island a unique taste, and you certainly will not regret that you spent time preparing it.
- In California Ice Tea, we will replace Coke with cranberry and pineapple juice, and instead of orange liqueur and tequila with amaretto.
- And replacing just cola with pineapple juice, you get an exotic Hawaiian Ice Tea.
The price of a Long Island cocktail and its variations in bars can be completely different, because the cost of dishes and drinks in institutions depends on their status, location and individual characteristics. Mix, fantasize, perfect the skill of making cocktails to perfection! We will be happy to share the recipes of famous cocktails and reveal their secrets.
Composition, step-by-step cooking
Making a Long Island cocktail on your own is not so difficult. The main thing is to prepare the necessary components and ice. To prepare a drink according to the classic recipe, it is recommended to prepare the following components:
- about 35 ml of vodka,
- tequila - 30 ml
- gin - 15-25 ml,
- 20 ml of any light rum,
- Cointreau (high strength liquor that has an orange flavor) - 10 ml,
- juice from fresh lemon - 20 ml,
- Coca-Cola sprinkling - about 100 ml,
- ice - crushed or cubes per 200 grams.
How much is done - 15-20 minutes.
Calorie content - 180 kcal.
- First you need to prepare a long glass and fill it with ice in cubes,
- Next, we begin to consistently pour alcoholic beverages - vodka, tequila, gin, light rum, cointreau,
- All components are thoroughly mixed.
- Add some lemon juice
- Top up with Coca-Cola
- Garnish with a slice of lemon or lime,
- We insert a tube into a glass with a drink and we can begin to use it.
"LONG ISLAND ICE TEA"
The components of which we will make the drink:
- about 20 ml of tequila, silver will do,
- about 20 ml of vodka,
- white rum - 20 ml,
- Triple sec (Cointreau) - 15 ml,
- 20 ml gin
- fresh fresh lemon - 30 ml,
- 1.5 large tablespoons of sugar syrup,
- Coca-Cola - 1 tablespoon,
- ice cubes to the size of a highball.
It takes a quarter of an hour to cook.
Calorie content - 195 kcal.
- Highball needs to be filled with crushed ice. Since the ice melts quickly, everything needs to be done very quickly,
- Then pour all the alcoholic drinks into the shaker. Fill slowly and consistently,
- Next, beat well and pour into highball,
- Then pour sugar syrup and freshly squeezed lemon fresh,
- We tint the Coca-Cola cocktail a bit to make it look like tea in color,
- Pour some more ice
- Garnish with a slice of lemon or lime, insert a straw.
In short, if you want to quietly drink someone who was not going to get drunk at all, or hide that they intend to get drunk themselves, the Long Island Ice Tea cocktail is the right choice!
The concept of Long Island Ice Tea, it would seem, is simple: pour a little in a glass of everything that is in the bar - and you're done.
- But here it is important to know what is usually the case with the average Long Island people! Because 1 “wrong” bottle is enough, and the “tea” you get is not Long Island, but Texas, Beverly Hills or Long Beach.
- In short, a true Longisman’s bar should have gin, vodka, tequila, rum, triple sec (this is a family of orange liquors with a strength above 30 °), cola, lemon, crushed ice and sugar syrup.
- If, for some reason, there is no sugar syrup in your bar, then you can prepare and put invert syrup there.
- I give the quantity, composition of ingredients, the order of preparation and the example of serving according to the current recommendations of the International Association of Bartenders, slightly adapting them, however, to home conditions.
According to the classic recipe
This alcoholic drink with a strength of 28% is easy to prepare, if you know some tricks. The Long Island Ice Tea cocktail contains the following ingredients: 20 ml of vodka, golden rum, gin, silver tequila, orange liquor, lemon juice, 100 ml of cola and 185 g of ice.
For convenience in cooking, consider the step-by-step instructions:
- Take a tall highball glass and fill it with ice cubes,
- After that, pour in all the ingredients in turn, and then mix them with a long spoon,
- Garnish the drink with a slice of lemon or a cherry. Serve with a straw.
How to cook and serve
Everything is very simple, you do not need to be an experienced bartender in order to be able to correctly combine all of the above components in one glass.
- First make a tall cocktail glass with thick walls and fill it with ice cubes for two-thirds.
- Now take turns pouring all the ingredients directly into the glass, except for Coke - neither the shaker, nor the mixer, nor any other separate dishes in this recipe are needed.
- The cocktail is almost ready! Add cola to the brim.
- Squeeze a slice of lemon into a glass. Hang another slice on the edge, making an incision with a knife.
- Insert the tube and serve immediately until the ice has melted.
- In principle, the preparation is no more complicated than a Margarita cocktail.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. But let us recall once again - the Long Island fortress is almost thirty degrees. Therefore, if you expect to spend a pleasant evening in the company of your girlfriend or go somewhere else for a walk, you should not lean on - you can just fall off your feet.
American Long Drink Recipe Options
If for some reason you do not have the ingredients for making the classic Long Island, you can safely replace them and create your own recipe for making this drink. For example, use iced tea, cranberry juice, or phantom instead of cola.
To replace orange liquor with another, for example, peach. Instead of white rum, add regular brown. The main principle of this mix is a little bit of everything, but stronger.
The bartenders have long been experimenting with the composition of “Long Island” and have already created several variations of the classic drink: “Alaska Ice Tea” (in this recipe instead of Coca-Cola use blue liquor “Blue Curacao”), “Tokyo Ice Tea” (in this recipe replace there are already two ingredients: tequila for Midori liqueur, and cola for lemonade), Long Beach Ice Tea (this drink also does not have Coca-Cola, but cranberry juice is added instead), Peach Long Island (main flavor peach schnapps gives the drink, which is added to the drink instead of tequila).
There is also the Russian version of the preparation of the Long Island Ice Tea cocktail. To prepare it, you will need the following components:
- silver tequila - 20 ml.,
- light rum - 25 ml,
- gin - 1 tablespoon,
- vodka - 20 ml
- orange liquor - 15 ml,
- champagne - 4 large spoons,
- fresh berries, raspberries and cherries - 2 each,
- ice cubes - 150-200 grams.
Method of preparation: Peel the cherries, mix with raspberries and crush. Next, add this mixture to the shaker and fill it with alcohol. We fill the cocktail glass with ice cubes and pour the contents from the shaker into it. Желательно перед этим ягодно-спиртовой микс пропустить через сито. После добавляем игристое шампанское и все содержимое перемешиваем. Стакан украшаем дольками лимона или лайма.
Популярные методы приготовления
There are alternative options for making a delicious alcoholic beverage in which different proportions of the ingredients and other ingredients can be used.
We dwell on the most popular options:
- This drink is more aromatic when compared to the classic version. First, you need to pour alcohol into the glass: 15 ml of silver tequila, light rum, vodka and orange-based liquor, and another 20 ml of gin. Then, 30 ml of lemon juice and syrup are sent to the glass. Mix with a long spoon. At the very end, you need to pour 50 ml of cola and put ice,
- Due to the use of a large amount of alcohol, the drink acquires the prefix "extra". For it, you need to prepare the following ingredients: 1 part vodka, gin, white rum, tequila, Cointreau, and another 2 parts lemon juice. Take highball, fill it with ice and pour all the ingredients on top. Stir, pour 15 ml of cola, and serve with a slice of lemon and a straw,
- Another recipe that allows you to prepare a drink that is not as intoxicating as the options discussed above, since there is no soda in the composition. The cocktail includes the following components: 20 ml of gin, rum, Cointreau, white tequila, lemon juice and vodka. For a change of taste and aroma, add another 50 ml of cranberry juice,
- Many love the Trimile Long Island cocktail, which includes fragrant melon liqueur. A shaker is recommended for mixing. Combine 20 ml of white rum, tequila, gin, lemon juice, vodka, Midori liqueur based on melon and Cointreau. In this recipe, instead of cola, it’s better to use soda,
- Learn how to cook Electric Ice Tea. The name arose due to the fact that in the light of disco lanterns the drink glows as if it were charged with current. To prepare it, you should stock up on the following ingredients: 1 part vodka, rum, tequila, Blue Curacao, gin, and another 2 parts sprite and lemon juice. First put ice in a glass, then pour alcohol and only then lemon juice and sprite. Gently mix and decorate before serving,
- Among the female half of humanity, raspberry Long Island is very popular. Put a few ice cubes in a shaker and pour 15 ml of vodka, tequila, rum and gin into it, and another 20 ml of lemon juice. Mix gently without shaking, and using a bar sieve, pour the contents into a tall glass with ice. Then, pour 60 ml of cola and layered raspberry liquor in the amount of 15 ml,
- The composition of Maimi Ice Tea includes cranberry juice, lemon juice, tequila and peach schnapps. This drink is very strong and a person can feel a slight intoxication after a couple of sips,
- In California, cola in this drink is replaced by cranberry and pineapple juice, and Amaretto is used instead of orange and tequila liqueur.
The recipes for the Long Island Ice Tea cocktail are simple and, if you have all the ingredients in the bar, you can have a fun holiday.
However, as you can see, this drink allows the replacement of some ingredients, so feel free to experiment.
Girls must like the recipe Long Island Raspberry Cocktailcooked by the rules. To make it, you need to add raspberry vodka and rum to a cocktail. The color of the cocktail will turn beautiful pink, and the taste will still be dizzying. The heart of your chosen one will be won if you treat her with classic or raspberry Long Island.
For making a cocktail Electric Ice Tea used Blue Curacao, as well as lemon soda. The blue cocktail will give the impression of being electrically charged when illuminating a nightclub.
For cooking Miami Ice Tea You need to take cranberry juice, tequila, lemon juice and peach schnapps. Two of these cocktails is enough to mentally end up in Miami. This cocktail is strong enough, so you should be careful with it and keep track of the amount you drink, because the cocktail should be fun, not a headache.
And now we offer you to watch a video recipe: how to make a Long Island cocktail.
How to mix
To feel like the hero of the films about the Great Depression and the American Dream, you will need the following ingredients for Long Island:
- - 30 ml. white rum, best of bacardi,
- - 30 ml. gina
- - 30 ml. good vodka
- - 30 ml. tequila
- - 30 ml. Triple Sec or Cointreau liquor
- - 60 ml. lime or lemon, it’s better to take freshly squeezed,
- - 30 ml. regular sugar syrup
- - Coca-Cola (or soda water, sprite, Pepsi and other soda),
- - lemon slice for decoration.
Mix all the ingredients of the cocktail, except Coca-Cola, in a shaker and pour into the largest cocktail glass filled with ice. Top up with a fizzy drink of your choice and stir well with a stick. In conclusion, a piece of lemon can be attached to the edge of the glass. Be careful in using the Long Island mix, because, despite its sweet and sour taste and sufficient ease in the process of drinking, it contains a shock dose of alcohol.
For those who follow a diet, it will be useful to find out that the energy value of a portion is about 300 kcal. However, it can be slightly reduced if you add sugar instead of the usual Coca-Cola Light and cook sugar syrup using sweeteners.
By the way, the very first cocktail recipe included whiskey and maple syrup, liqueurs appeared in subsequent, later versions. But, nevertheless, it is the American Bartenders Association that considers the above method of preparation that is classical and reference.