Snakes do not look for human society, but sometimes they find attractive areas around houses - for various reasons.
If a person notices reptiles who have settled nearby, he immediately begins to figure out how to get rid of snakes in the area — snakes do not make love, they are strange and dangerous creatures. Neighborhood with them can cause trauma, even if it is relatively harmless already.
What are the danger of snakes on the site
The reason for hostility to snakes is bites, even it seems to be safe, it can bite. And if there are children in the family, the war becomes stubborn, because snake venom is deadly for the child's body.
The first precautionary rule, even if the snakes have not yet arrived, is to fill the country first-aid kit with bite medicines and emergency care.
What snakes are found in a summer cottage?
In the middle lane live:
The first is most dangerous, an unsuccessful meeting with the rest will leave a rather painful bite.
Poisonous reptile, when attacking it, approaching the nest becomes aggressive and can bite. In most cases, tries to avoid meeting a person.
The viper is easy to recognize by the zigzags on the back.
In appearance they may resemble an adder, however, the color is solid and there are yellow “ears” on the head. In an irritated state, he can really bite - he has sharp teeth.
How snakes appear in garden plots
The appearance of snakes is easier to prevent than to deal with them later. And to do this, you need to know why reptiles come to garden plots. What attracts them?
- Food availability
If there are a lot of rodents on the site, there is a chance that snakes will appear there
- Hiding places
Viper in the grass
- Neighborhood with an abandoned / undeveloped plot or forest
Sometimes in summer cottages and partnerships completely abandoned sites come across that gradually turn into a forest. This is another source of potential danger. For one reason or another, snakes can crawl from them to their neighbors. Having a similar “forest” through two houses, I can say that the neighborhood is unpleasant. After a viper is noticed, which is quite freely located in partial shade under the trees, even mowed grass and cleaned space does not allow you to relax.
These are the main reasons why snakes appear next to people. But there are two more:
- Snakes are imported along with building materials. This is rare, but it happens.
- If the site is located next to the forest, which is cut down for further construction, then snakes can leave their homes and move to new places.
What are snakes afraid of?
In addition to the factors that lure snakes to sites, there are moments that scare them away. So, what and whom are snakes afraid of?
- Pungent odors (both natural and chemical). It can be the smells of dry mustard, garlic, burnt grass, burnt rubber, perfume, naphthalene, nitrate, ammonia, diesel fuel and various herbicides.
- Noise. As mentioned above, snakes are very fond of silence. They will be scared away by the noise of mowers, generators and other equipment, as well as music, human voices, the rustling of garden turntables or bells.
- Hedgehogs. It's no secret that hedgehogs are the main enemies of snakes. By luring hedgehogs to your site and feeding them, you can protect yourself from uninvited guests.
Interesting: in the process of preparing the material, I came across one very interesting way to deal with snakes regarding hedgehogs. It is called "Hungarian, or Drunken Hedgehog." Hungarian - because it was actively used in medieval Hungary, and the second name indicates that the hedgehogs were in appropriate condition. It turns out, in addition to milk, they are not averse to feasting on beer or wine. According to this method, beer bowls were placed on the territory that needed to be freed from snakes. Hedgehogs, who already hate snakes, “under the degree” turned into real hunters. But this is just a legend, which in modern times was hardly tested.
Dogs can hunt snakes
- Cats and dogs. Cats and dogs (most of the yagd terrier breed) can hunt snakes. But before allowing such a hunt, you need to evaluate the “benefit-harm” ratio and the strength of your pet in this matter a hundred times.
Several ways to get rid of snakes in a summer cottage
If preventive measures did not help, and the snakes still found something attractive in your area, it's time to move on to fighting them. What can be done?
If snakes have chosen your site, it's time to move on to the fight
- Call Snake Fighting Specialists. It can be herpetologists - people who are engaged in catching creeping reptiles. But summer residents rarely turn to them due to the fact that they caught one snake - the next one crawled. And you can carry out professional processing of the site by contacting the appropriate services.
- Install repeller devices. They are similar to those used against rodents. The principle of operation of the device is based on the aversion of snakes to noise and vibration. Repellers can be sound, vibration or ultrasound. The choice depends on the type of snake. For example, you won’t scare away vipers with ultrasound, but they will get away from vibrations. It is better to place the devices in places where snakes are most likely to settle: in compost heaps, assembled boards, etc.
Our market, where offers of various online stores are collected, will help you choose a snake repeller.
How to get rid of snakes in a summer cottage: a means of dealing with creeping reptiles
With the advent of spring, nature wakes up, and our summer cottage comes to life. Unfortunately, not only pleasant meetings await us.
Among the various pests that can spoil your stay in the country, a special place is occupied by snakes - creatures are not only unpleasant in appearance, but sometimes poisonous, which can be dangerous to the health and life of a person or his pets.
Where do snakes come from in home gardens?
In our latitudes, the usual habitat of creeping reptiles is forests. More recently, snakes could be found very rarely in the city or residential sector. But the woodworking industry and construction are developing rapidly, so forests near human settlements are cut down. There is nothing left for the snakes to do but how to look for a convenient place for their housing.
And there are a lot of such places on the arranged site. This can be a garbage pit or a garbage pit, and even more so a compost one, where it is warm enough, humid and quiet - optimal conditions for life and breeding. Rhizomes of trees and fruit bushes will also give shelter to the snake family.
Most often in the suburban area you can find:
The first three types of snakes are not poisonous, and do not pose a serious danger to the lives of people and animals. True, this does not reduce the fear of them: there is nothing pleasant about being able to stumble upon them at any moment. But vipers are a real disaster. The bite of this snake is deadly, therefore, they should definitely be disposed of completely.
By the way, snakes can appear not only from the forest. The area in which I live is rich in forests, but we rarely saw snakes, and even that - snakes. The city’s authorities conceived the repair of roads, and material for it was imported from another region. Together with rubble, they brought us a lot of these meandering surprises. Snakes crawled around the city center, to say nothing of the private sector on the outskirts: there were few sites where a couple of families did not nest. Therefore, the question of how to get rid of snakes in a summer cottage, in a garden, in the yard and on the street became especially acute for us. I will tell you about the measures that we have taken in the fight against this living creature.
Precautions to be observed at all times
It has long been known that in fact snakes very rarely attack first. Their aggressive behavior is a protective measure in the case when the snake feels a danger to itself or its nest. True, this is not easier for us. You may simply not notice that a snake warmed up in a raspberry bush or on a bed of strawberries. Step on it or touch it with your hand - and you will surely get a couple of tangible bites. And even if the snake leaves only traces of teeth and the consequences of fright, the viper will cause you a lot of big trouble - that's why it is a viper.
Snakes love to lie in the thickets of plants. Therefore, if you suspect the presence of creeping reptiles in your garden, try walking on it in rubber boots. Take a close look at the vegetation on the beds: snakes like to lie in places well warmed by the sun and slightly obscured by plants.
What can lure a snake
Snakes appear in the territory occupied by humans in search of food and quiet places for nesting, so they will be attracted to:
- plot with tall grass and bushes,
- abandoned caked heaps of building materials,
- firewood and boards lying in a mess,
- dampness and shading, the presence of sunny areas with slight shading,
- the presence of frogs, small animals,
- planting strawberries (snakes adore strawberries and strawberries),
- cherry trees
- compost heaps
- the presence near the site of a reservoir with frogs, toads and other food.
An irresistible bait for them is the carcass of a dead snake - if a relative is dead, then you can eat it. And at the same time to occupy its territory. Therefore, you can not leave a dead snake on the site.
For the same reasons, it is recommended to take away and discard the discarded snake skin - creep out. It is believed that this way marks the territory, so you should tidy it up: sort out the heaps, mow the grass, and plant the bush. It is advisable to take a crawl with gloves or a stick - it is not recommended to leave your smell on it.
If bitten by a snake
Please note: bites of non-toxic snakes can also be dangerous. Through the puncture site, the infection will easily penetrate both from the pest's mouth and from the outside. Therefore, if a snake or a snake attacked you and bit you, the wound must be disinfected, for example, with hydrogen peroxide.
To drive off a snake when you found it in the garden, you need special methods. It’s unlikely that you can simply drive her away with a stick - this will only infuriate the reptile. It is best to create noise and vibration, such as stomping feet. If the snake just basked in the sun, and in the immediate vicinity there is no nest, then it quickly retreats.
Be sure to know: first aid to the victim of a poisonous snake bite
These rules need to be learned by heart. They will be useful to you if you have just discovered these uninvited guests in your possessions, and have not yet begun to fight them.
Everyone risks being bitten by a snake, so remember what the victim needs to do:
- Drink plenty of water, it will help speed up the removal of poison from the body, and slow down its absorption. At the same time, try to move as little as possible and not panic, so as not to cause tachycardia.
- Do not drink tea or coffee: these drinks speed up blood circulation. Drinking alcohol is strictly forbidden when bitten by a poisonous snake. You can’t even treat the wound with alcohol: ethyl dilutes the blood, speeds up its run through the vessels, and the poison quickly disperses throughout the body.
- Do not overtighten the wound with a bandage: this can cause stagnation of harmful substances at the bite site, which will lead to tissue infection.
- You can immediately suck blood with poison from the wound immediately after a bite. But at the same time, it is worth remembering that any wound on the oral mucosa, and even a decayed tooth, can serve as a way for the poison to enter the body. At the same time, swallowed poison is absolutely not dangerous for the body: the mucous membrane of the stomach and esophagus is immune to this substance.
- After the poison is removed from the wound, the edges of the bites can be treated with brilliant green, iodine or alcohol. But in no case can you use oxidizing substances, for example, potassium permanganate, as well as alkalis or incandescent objects on fire.
- A bitten person needs to lie so that his head is lower in relation to the body: this way blood is easier to enter the brain.
After all preliminary measures have been taken, be sure to take the victim to the hospital, where he will be given the appropriate serum.
How to scare away snakes from a summer cottage
You can immediately notice that it is almost pointless to use poisons - snakes react to movement, so the bait with poison will remain out of their attention. Therefore, the main methods:
- make the environment - the site - uncomfortable for snakes,
Overgrown, neglected areas with heaps of brushwood and branches, randomly dumped boards that cannot be reached, compost heaps are the ideal habitat for snakes. The attractiveness of the territory is added by the abundance of rodents, frogs and other small living creatures.
If you have any questions, let us know Ask a Question
Getting rid of the above features of the house territory will significantly reduce the likelihood that snakes will choose your site. Therefore, in the household it is not necessary to look for poisons for snakes, but traps and poison for rodents and other small fauna.
If a few meters from the territory there is a pond with a great number of frogs, toads and other small living creatures, then the only means is a monolithic fence with a fine mesh at the bottom around the entire perimeter of the site.
- make the soil unsuitable for the movement of reptiles.
Since snakes move with their whole body, the quality and composition of the earth are important to them. Therefore, you can create chemical barriers at the borders by applying:
- pungent odor compounds
- rags soaked in liquids with pungent odors,
- moth pills from a cheap store,
- coal and ash (a shallow groove filled with ash and coals can be drawn along the perimeter),
- garden sulfur
- biological repeller - a mixture of components with an odor unpleasant for snakes.
The civilized way is to order treatment with a special compound that repels reptiles. Held once every 40 days, low toxicity.
- create uncomfortable conditions with the help of appliances,
Two types of devices:
Turntables are mechanical and electrically driven - they are dug into the ground, the vibrations they produce in the soil prevent snakes from approaching the territory.
Ultrasonic repeller - tuned for reptiles, provides vibrations that are unpleasant for snakes.
Snakes are sensitive creatures. They are afraid or dislike:
- pungent odors
- any pleasant scents like perfumes, colognes,
- the smell of wool
- neighborhood snakes.
Trying to oust the population of vipers with snakes is not worth it. Despite mutual hostility, they can get along, and then life will become like an adventure in the jungle. Plus, it is not always possible to distinguish them from each other on time.
First aid for a snakebite
Always keep in the immediate vicinity the first-aid kit in which such products should be:
- drugs for the cardiovascular system and increase blood pressure,
Sticky traps for reptiles are used, which are a cardboard with a sticky composition. Such traps are laid out around the perimeter. After the snake is caught, the cardboard is carefully picked up with a stick with a hook and taken out of the area. In nature, the snake is watered with vegetable oil, this reduces the stickiness of the glue, and the animal can crawl away.
The trap needs to be constantly checked - small birds that have landed on the ground and even a kitten can stick. A metal cage for catching reptiles is a device that allows you to immediately see the result (you will have to lift a cardboard trap to understand if a snake is caught or not). The bait is laid in the cage - an egg, strawberry.
It is recommended to immediately remove the snake from the territory. Snakes are released at a distance of at least 1.5 km, away from homes. Protective gloves are put on hands, the trap opens. We must move away so that the snake sets off.
Measures to combat creeping reptiles
If there are too many snakes in your area, or you are afraid to get rid of them yourself, then it is better to contact herpetologists. But if you are in the mood for a serious struggle, then our tips will be useful to you.
Careful cleaning of the entire suburban area will certainly help you get rid of snakes. Anything can be an attractive refuge for a creeping asp: fragments of boards, slate, logs, heaps of branches and garbage. All unnecessary and unused must be taken out of the site or destroyed.
Keep order in the suburban area so that snakes have nowhere to nest
Mow grass constantly in the garden or on the lawn. These areas under the house are better to pour concrete. Thick high thickets - a great place for a snake. By the way, a working lawn mower makes such a noise that snakes will be forced to clean where it is quieter and calmer due to discomfort. Поэтому регулярное использование такого инструмента будет только на пользу и саду, и вам: змея уползёт искать место с более высокой травой, в которой легко укрыться от солнца и посторонних глаз.
Snakes are very fond of arranging their nests in compost heaps, where optimal temperature conditions for egg laying are formed. Therefore, such places should be as far away from home as possible. The snake will protect its nesting with the offspring to the last, therefore it is better not to allow its appearance than to try to get rid of the whole family.
Note. Snakes are especially dangerous in the spring, when the period of molting and laying of eggs begins. At the end of summer - in August - snakes are activated again.
By the way, snakes are useful for a garden site. They feed on toads, small rodents and moles, which are very harmful to your beds. If you are not afraid of these amphibians, then they can become your allies (if we are talking about non-toxic snakes). But remember that snakes love strawberries and strawberries. You have to choose: either you have a rich harvest of these berries, or snails with coppers destroy other pests.
The choice of repeller depends on the purpose of the purchase:
- scare away only reptiles,
Models are configured exclusively for this type of fauna. You can consider the Ecosniper LS-107 or the Tornado B03 01.
Devices work against snakes, moles, a bear, voles.
According to the principle of the impact, the models are divided into vibrational and sound - the former create constant vibrations in the soil, the latter periodically produce a series of sounds that are transformed in the soil into the same vibrations and are perceived by animals as a distress signal. In both cases, they try to move away from the dangerous place.
- Planting: elderberry, garlic, herbs, the juice of which contains essential compounds,
- High base on the fence
- Fine perimeter mesh
- Sprinkling with mustard
- Regular mowing of grass
- Bells on all branches (this method is applicable if everything is OK with your nerves),
- Smoke bomb (if snakes chose the cellar),
- Catching and removal - only possible if the site is populated with snakes, poisonous snakes can only be safely caught by a specialist.
The snake does not attack first, it prefers to avoid large inedible bipeds. She can bite from fright or while fighting for her life. It is not recommended to kill a snake - other individuals will come to the place of murder in large numbers. If nevertheless it was necessary, then the snake and the upper layer of soil are transported away from the site. It’s also a bad omen.
To reduce the likelihood of snakes appearing on the site, it is recommended:
- clean regularly - there must be order in the garden,
- lure hedgehogs, regularly feed them,
- hang bells around the perimeter of the territory, make turntables from plastic bottles,
- occasionally, pieces of rubber can be burned on the site, but you can’t do this often, since smoke is toxic to humans and other animals,
- a rope of sheep’s wool - it is pulled right near the ground around the perimeter, before this it is advisable to inspect the site, to catch, if possible, individuals already there,
- herbicides are effective - the land around the toilet on the street, shower, summer kitchen should be regularly cultivated,
- in the house and other buildings all the cracks and holes are closed,
- family members should know what to do when meeting a reptile,
- in the medicine cabinet must be the necessary medicines.
All these recommendations coincide with the tips on how to deal with snakes on the site, so they will affect individuals who have already managed to move your territory. There are special services involved in catching snakes and subsequent processing of the site in order to prevent their occurrence. If it is reliably known that there are snakes, you can turn to specialists.
Snake in a summer cottage: evil or good?
The presence of reptiles in a garden or vegetable garden should not be taken as a universal catastrophe. Firstly, most snakes are completely harmless to humans and besides, they have successfully avoided meeting him. Secondly, the bastards are actively destroy numerous pests (vole mice, shrews, rats), they drive moles out of their holes, feed on lizards, large insects, slugs and snails.
Some summer residents try to get rid of snakes as soon as possible, accusing them of eating strawberries in the beds (although protein food is more attracted to snakes). But their presence will protect the site from the appearance of more dangerous reptiles - vipers, food competitors for snakes. Therefore, do not grab a shovel and indiscriminately destroy all oncoming snakes.
It is mandatory to display reptile neighbors in those cases when:
- their number is too large
- there are small children in the family who may suffer,
- one of the family members suffers from herpetophobia - a panicky and uncontrollable fear of snakes.
The greatest danger is meeting with vipers. A viper bite is painful and dangerous (especially for children). The poison can cause severe poisoning and an allergic reaction, and if assistance is not provided, it can lead to serious consequences. The following vipers are most often found on garden plots.
Vipersand ordinary. It is easy to recognize by its zigzag black or brown strip along the ridge. The upper body is painted in gray and brownish tones with an olive tint. The belly is black or gray.
Viper Nikolsky. Unlike an ordinary viper, it has a black color, without spots and patterns.
Steppe viper. It is painted in brownish-brown color, on the back there is a zigzag strip of dark brown color.
The fact that with a bite these scaly ones do not inject poison into the wound does not make the bite less painful and does not eliminate the threat of its infection by microbes (snakes do not brush their teeth). Therefore, when meeting with them should also be careful. The most common are the following.
Uzhi. Already ordinary is easily recognizable by yellow or orange spots on the sides of the head.
Yellow-bellied snake (Caspian). This is one of the largest snakes in Europe - it can reach up to 2 m in length. The color varies from olive and brown to black, the belly is light yellow. The snake is aggressive, and its bites are painful.
Common copperfish. A small snake up to 70 cm long. The color sometimes resembles that of vipers, but has a copper tint. Likes to take sun baths. In summer cottages, coppers are rare.
We offer you to watch a video about copperfish:
Animals guard your plot
The most important enemy of snakes is the hedgehog. Therefore, make sure that this prickly animal has settled in your area. He will save you from other pests - moles, toads, mice and rats. Few people think that hedgehogs are those predators that can exterminate those who interfere with your harvest.
A small amount of alcohol (preferably beer or wine) will make a hedgehog a real warrior. Arrange the saucers with beer in the area, and the hedgehogs "taken to the chest" in a state of intoxication will destroy everyone who makes the slightest competition on their territory. This is the so-called "Hungarian way" of fighting snakes, or "drunk hedgehog."
Hedgehogs are considered the best snake hunters
Hedgehogs can be lured with milk. But do not forget that they, like snakes, love strawberries. At least hedgehogs are much more useful.
Cats can also hunt snakes. It is believed that the cat's body can withstand snake venom. But do not forget that the mustachioed-striped love to boast of their prey. Be prepared for the cat to put the killed snake in the most prominent place.
Dogs of the Yagd Terrier breed are simply created to fight all kinds of snakes. In all other cases, it is better to put a muzzle on them: yagd terriers can be aggressive towards people.
Natural animal hair will help scare away snakes from your site. Just lay it in strands in those places where there may be nests. Over time, the snakes will leave the site.
Chemical, folk, mechanical and technical means of fighting snakes
First of all, you need to decide whether you want to push off the snakes from your site, or destroy them.
In the first case, these amphibians can easily return to you during the summer.
The second option will give a guarantee for at least one season.
- Snakes are very susceptible to odors. Try scattering dry mustard in the area (1 kilogram per 10 acres is enough). Also, several beds of garlic, broken in different sides of the site, can scare away the snake.
- If you find old snake skin, take it away from the site. During molting, the snake sheds its skin in the place where it is going to live, so it will definitely return to the old skin. But in no case do not take the cat with your bare hands, so as not to leave your smell on it.
- Try to burn the old car tire in the area: snakes cannot stand the smell of burnt rubber. As, however, ashes and scorched territories. If you practice annual burning of grass on a site in the spring, snakes will not take care of your garden.
- Mothballs, saltpeter, ammofoska, garden herbicide will discourage reptiles from the cottage. Snakes really do not like chemicals, so rags scattered in the area soaked in diesel fuel or herbicide will scare them away. You can buy in the store special toxic agents for the destruction of cold-blooded.
- Try to enclose the site with a fence with a high base, which is sprayed with chemicals.
- Hang in the garden Chinese bells, rattles and turntables, which in the wind will create noise and vibration. Snakes are very fond of peace and quiet, and can not stand the noise. Therefore, they will flee from uncomfortable conditions in search of better housing. Electric mole repellers will also help in the fight.
But the most effective way to prevent the emergence of snakes in the area is to deprive them of food. Bring out moles, mice, frogs, rats from the dacha - everything that cold-blooded people like to eat - and snakes will not find anything interesting for themselves on your territory.
How to get rid of snakes? Can snakes and vipers get along together?
I heard this expression: it’s a legless lizard. No matter what the attack, they are not able to protect themselves from man. Only crawl away. And the benefits of snakes are not so small. They destroy pests, survive from their territory poisonous snakes. Before you get rid of snakes, think, because their place can be taken by vipers.
But if you are belligerent and want to free your territory from snakes, try the following methods:
- The method is old, it was used by cowboys and Indians. Block the place where snakes can crawl with a thick rope. Snakes burn the skin trying to overcome the obstacle and do not crawl through it.
- Keep order in the territory. If you do not have suitable shelters for housing, snakes will not come to you. Remove old boards, trash, etc. They love places where it is wet and there is no sun.
- Mow the tall grass so that the snakes have nowhere to hide. The site should be as open as possible. If you and your nearest neighbors (and the neighbors are important too!) Have clean open areas, then there will be nothing to fear.
- Another option is to have a hedgehog. If possible, of course. The hedgehog is a noble predator, he will exterminate you snakes and mice at the same time.
- Buy ultrasonic repeller. Fortunately, such are issued. There is plenty to choose from. Special scarers that work against snakes and vipers can be very effective here, but they can also be used as universal ones - against rodents.
- You can install devices that make noise. Well, however, like any snake, it is afraid of noise. But this is on condition that you will not be nervous about such an environment.
- As an option, and it’s even quite good, you can install a fence with a steep foundation about 40-50 cm high. This is a fairly effective measure against all types of snakes. The snake is not able to overcome even such a small height at a steep angle (this does not apply to snakes in hot countries that easily move through trees).
- A hunting dog, such as a terrier, is also a good option. These "hunters" actively hunt snakes.
Snakes love places where there is water and secluded places so that there is where to hide. A small pond, tall grass, heaps of unnecessary debris, branches, scrap metal, are very suitable for snake living. If you need to get rid of snakes, then you need to clean up the area. Scrub your plot, clear the pond and the snake will look for other areas of residence.
How to get rid of snakes in a summer cottage, how to scare off
The invasion of creeping reptiles on the site - a real disaster for summer residents. In addition to damage to the crop (and many snakes like to enjoy the fruits of strawberries and raspberries), they can scare their appearance. In addition, in addition to harmless snakes and coppers in our latitudes, more dangerous predators, such as vipers, are also widespread. How to get rid of snakes in the garden will tell you our article.
Possible benefits and harms
Before you immediately start the negativity, you should also learn about the beneficial qualities of snakes. This snake is able to frighten not only a child with its appearance, but in fact it does not pose a danger to humans. Already able to bite, turned into a corner, but the first never attacks.
In addition, such a snake on the site can easily relieve you of other pests: insects, moles, rodents and scare away birds. A big plus: if you already settled in your garden, then you should not be afraid of the appearance of an adder and other reptiles. The invisible marks left by such an “alien” will tell others that the territory is already occupied. This is especially true for areas with a large number of vipers, here it is worth choosing the lesser of evils.
At the same time, even harmless snakes are not the best neighbors, because they can scare to death, and in case of a bite - bring an infection into the wound. In addition, if you have children, the appearance of a snake can seriously scare the baby, and many adults will not be happy with such a meeting. Despite the fact that these snakes are able to perform the function of orderlies, cleaning the area from rodents, they can also eat crops, which is unacceptable for the gardener.
Measures aimed at preventing snakes from entering the site are very simple. In their peculiarity, snakes and other snakes prefer quiet, moist and secluded places, so they need to create completely opposite conditions. To do this, it is necessary to conduct a general audit of the site, remove the remains of building materials, old trees and stumps, and drain the wetlands.
Such revisions should be permanent, otherwise a new family will willingly settle in the place of a new accumulation of garbage. It is better to keep the compost pit closed, because it is an ideal environment for laying snake eggs. It should be noted that the offspring of the snake are very anxiously guarded, so even a random approach is regarded as an attack.
That is why compost is best stored away from residential buildings, playgrounds and utility rooms. If there is a possibility that a snake dwells there, it is best to approach in rubber boots and with the appropriate “weapon” at the ready.
If you notice the remains of a snake or old skin on the site, you need to get rid of this immediately. According to signs, the snake will surely return to the place of molting, and the corpse of an ally means that the place is free, so new aliens will willingly settle it.
Maintaining cleanliness is far from everything, because snakes can live in dense thickets of raspberries or blackberries, and also make a nest of tall grass on the outskirts of the site. Regular weeding of bushes, as well as mowing grass will help solve this problem. If there are abandoned sites or forests nearby, you will have to act even more extensively.
To do this, you need to enclose your site with a high fence, in which cracks and gaps are not allowed. It is best to put a fence on a brick or stone foundation, the base of which should be at least half a meter. Regular revision, as well as treatment of the fence with chemicals - repellers will help prevent the penetration of snakes inside.
Summing up, we can distinguish the main rules of prevention:
- Avoid accumulation of garbage, clean old trees and hemp in time.
- Take care of a high airtight fence.
- Remove the compost pit away from home, make it closed.
- Regularly mow grass and cut through shrubs.
- Planting spicy and odorous herbs around the plot: garlic, mustard and mint will provide natural protection from aliens. To do this, you should understand how often you need to water the garlic.
Measures aimed at protecting against snakes, in principle, are no different from the work plan of any owner, because this is additional insulation of the premises and basic sanitary rules. In addition, such methods will keep the site well-groomed and beautiful. In addition to ennoblement of the territory, it is also necessary to take care to prevent reptiles inside residential buildings and sheds.
Unfolded rags with odorous impregnations are a good deterrent, but this option has an increased risk of fire. Spices scattered around the perimeter of buildings, as well as wind chimes, will do. It is also necessary to check the walls and foundation for cracks to prevent snakes from penetrating inside.
How to remove from the plot garden
It is quite easy to discourage snakes from the site, and modern appliances and folk remedies will come to the rescue. Snakes usually settle where they can hunt without problems, so the simultaneous struggle with rodents, toads and frogs will also be useful. Без добычи местность станет для змей непривлекательной, поэтому они покинут огород самостоятельно.
Механический способ истребления змеи обычно оказывается менее эффективным, ведь на смену безобидному ужу может наведаться ядовитая гадюка. Именно поэтому лучше отпугнуть гадов вне зависимости от породы, а как сделать это наиболее эффективно, рассказано далее.
Лучшие методы борьбы со змеями на участке:
Завести собаку – ягдтерьера. These brave babies are by nature true snake hunters. Even the presence of a small protector on the site will scare away the snakes. In addition, other breeds, for example, dachshund, have similar qualities. An ordinary mongrel can also be a great snake cat, like cats. It is simply impossible to guess with the exact set of characteristics, but it is believed that if the cat is an excellent rat-catcher, then it will be easy to cope with snakes. The same means can be used to combat shrews in the garden.
Lure the hedgehog. These forest hunters can easily save you from uninvited guests, as well as bring a lot of good emotions. Buying a hedgehog is a real problem, so you can use the "grandfather" way. Disposed bowls of milk in the area will attract their smell, and the presence of snakes will be a real test for hunting instincts.
In addition, hedgehogs will willingly eat slugs, small rodents and insects, but it is worth noting that they will not leave strawberry planting alone. In addition to milk, a little beer will be an excellent delicacy for a hedgehog, it is even considered that a drunk hedgehog will even bolder and more aggressively attack. What to choose is up to you. It will also be useful to learn about what tools and animals can help in the fight against snakes in a summer cottage.
Such methods are effective for abandoned sites where the number of snakes has reached a significant mark. Conventional garden herbicides, automotive lubricants, as well as specialized preparations (Ammophos, Typhoon, ammonium nitrate, naphthalene and even wood ash) are suitable as “chemistry”. You can also use chemicals that can destroy the weeds in the garden chemically.
The cost of such devices is quite affordable, and the service life is long. It is worth choosing special devices designed for exposure from moles. The fact is that snakes often build holes for themselves in which such protection will be invalid. Repellers are also effective if other preventative methods are followed.
With a strong population of the site with snakes, it is better not to risk it and turn to professionals. Calling herpetologists will not cost so much, and risking your life, when confronted is not always a harmless fauna. In addition, such events are recommended to be carried out before moving into old houses, so as to get rid of possible surprises in the cellar or summer shower.
However, for many, such a “find” will be a serious blow to the psyche, so you still have to get rid of the “neighbors”. The best option would be to provide unsuitable living conditions, but it is easy enough to drive existing aliens away. The basic methods of dealing with snakes and other snakes are described in the information in this article.
How to get rid of snakes in a summer cottage. Repeller Overview
Snakes are an extremely unpleasant neighborhood. Even in strong healthy men, creeping bastards cause a fit of terror.
Especially sharply react to their appearance, girls and young children. Of course, if you got a snake at the summer cottage, then you should think about the advisability of dealing with them, because these reptiles are very useful.
But if you firmly decided to get rid of the snakes, then there are many reliable ways to do this.
It’s easy to distinguish, on their head behind the eyes are two yellow spots.
The benefits of snakes for giving
First of all, we suggest once again thinking about whether it is worth fighting with snakes.
Of course, the neighborhood is unpleasant, but the snakes do a lot of good deeds in your garden:
- They destroy mice, rats, slugs, bugs, frogs and other pests.
- The snakes give a guarantee that other truly poisonous snakes in the country will not appear.
- They scare away birds that can bite your crop.
- Already not poisonous, especially since he can only bite if pissed off.
General cleaning of the site
They love to settle in dark, damp and quiet places, therefore, thorough cleaning of the territory is an important stage in the fight against snakes. At the same time, in order to get rid of snakes guaranteed, the cleanliness on the site should be maintained constantly, and not brought only once.
Mow grass regularly. Snakes feel very comfortable in high thickets of grass. It is also advisable to get rid of all the extra shrubs. Please note that you need to get rid of grass not only in your area, but also in the entire surrounding area. The point is to mow the thickets when there is a forest of grass in a couple of steps.
Get rid of all foreign objects and rubbish. Take all rags, slate, boards as far as possible from the summer cottage. It is also advisable to uproot old stumps, to rake out all the foliage and branches. Do not forget about unused barrels and boxes.
Some things cannot be taken apart or thrown away. For example, it is impossible to get rid of a homestead shed or the foundation of a house. In this case, you need to close all the inputs / outputs. Pour with cement, board with boards or simply hammer all holes with improvised means.
Also do not forget about the cracks in the doorway and between the windows.
Particular attention should be paid to snake skin and the corpses of snakes. These remains attract snakes stronger than a magnet. If you do not remove them on time, then soon the whole territory will be teeming with reptiles.
After carrying out all the events, a situation may arise that the order is restored, but the snakes remain on the site. In this case, you need to ask the neighbors for help. Take a few bags (without holes) and go in a friendly team to catch snakes. The captured lump of reptiles can be released somewhere in the forest, next to the swamp.
Fence against snakes
It is likely that you will not be able to completely get rid of debris on the site and near it. Indeed, it is impossible to restore order in the neighboring cottage without the permission of the residents. And if they are categorically against the fight against snakes? Then there is nothing left but to build a reliable fence from the snakes.
Of course, a carefully closed bottom will be the most important feature of the anti-snake design. The barrier to the level of 40-50 cm can be made of bricks or boards, the main condition is the complete absence of cracks.
The fence must be checked regularly and periodically repaired in order to maintain its “tightness”.
Hedgehogs. These cute clumsy animals are actually formidable hunters. Their prey is rodents, frogs and snakes. Buying a hedgehog in a store is difficult, so you have to try to find a prickly animal. First of all, you need to lure it with sour apples, a beer or milk.
Dogs. A pet can catch all reptiles and amphibians no worse than a hedgehog family. Of course, not every pet can come up, because there are peace-loving dogs that are not able to eat a cockroach. For the role of Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, hunting breeds or a yagd terrier specially developed for this task are more suitable - a small dog of a black color, something similar to a dachshund.
Cat. Representatives of the cat family can also cope with the task, but for this purpose you need a really seasoned cat. It is useless to guess with the breed, it all depends not on the exterior, but on the nature and habits of a particular cat. If your cat loves to walk, and you at least once forced him to catch mice, then safely take him to the cottage - let him hunt for snakes.
Chemicals Against Snakes
To get rid of snakes, you can not use strongly acting poisons. It must be remembered that snakes are predatory animals; they will not eat still food. Instead, it is better to use odorous substances, they will simultaneously save the surrounding ecology and scare away not only snakes, but also many other pests.
Herbicides, fertilizers and other odorous substances that do not tolerate snakes:
- Ammonium nitrate
Any of the above drugs should be scattered in small quantities near the porch, under the windows, at the entrances to the barn or in other dark and wet places.
Also process them along the entire perimeter along the fence, especially from the side of the forest or pond. You can scatter some funds along the paths and near the porch. In addition, herbicides can be scattered behind the site in places where tall grass grows.
Snake Repeller Overview
Snakes are deaf, therefore, to replenish the auditory canal of perception, they have an increased sensitivity to soil vibrations. People have been using this feature of snakes since ancient times. For example, when entering dark rooms you can tap with a stick on the floor or walls. The simplest repeller is an iron rod stuck in the ground. Fluctuations of the rod are transmitted to the soil and spread across the territory, scaring away the snakes.
A good repeller will save you not only from snakes, but also from most of the underground inhabitants: ants, moles, slugs and other pests.
A more complex repeller is a rattle. The design is simple enough to be assembled independently. Nevertheless, any artisanal repellers “protect” only small plots of land, therefore it is better to purchase modern electronic devices. Their cost is acceptable, and the result is immediately and forever.
An electronic repeller, like a rattle, is absolutely safe for humans, animals and plants.
You are unlikely to find the ideal device for scaring away snakes. When choosing, you need to consider a number of features and look for the best option for your particular site. First of all, remember that solid objects (fence, boulder, road) are insurmountable obstacles to ultrasound. Next, you need to focus on the geographical feature and area of the territory.
Overview of common snake devices
Methods of fighting snakes
Many people think that getting rid of snakes in the country in a simple way means killing them. However, the physical destruction of snakes is neither effective nor humane (especially since many species are listed in the Red Book). Reptiles occupy their place in the ecological system, carrying out an important mission to destroy rodents and other pests. In addition, the place of the killed snake will soon be occupied by a new one. In the fight against snakes, it is best to use the features of their behavior and habits.
To get rid of snakes on the site, you need, firstly, to eliminate what attracts them and, secondly, to create uncomfortable conditions for them. The following methods are most effective:
- territory cleaning garden, summer cottage and yard, getting rid of heaps of garbage and branches, large boulders, stumps, trunks of fallen trees, etc.,
- regular destruction of thickets of grass and wild plants. Such actions will deprive the snakes of shelters, scare them away and force them to change their habitat, as they love peace and quiet. Compost pits are also attracted to these reptiles, so it is best to place them at a distance from the house and paths. If a dead snake or old skin is found after molting (crawling), they should be burned or taken out to get rid of the smell,
- use of vibration and vibration. Sound does not frighten the snake - it is deaf, but it responds to soil vibrations, for example, from walking or hitting a stick. The main rule to avoid meeting with the snake is to make it catch such vibrations. Using a lawn mower in this regard is very useful - it destroys grass and creates a lot of noise. At the same time, such a popular method of combating reptiles as hanging rattles and bells on branches of shrubs and trees can only scare away birds. On sale you can find special devices that scare away snakes. Feedback from gardeners indicates that using ultrasound to get rid of vipers and other reptiles is problematic; vibration-type devices have proven themselves much better,
- pungent odorsthat snakes don't like. Among the tested folk remedies are planting garlic and etheronos plants along the perimeter, mustard or naphthalene powder scattered in shady and secluded corners, processing garden paths with vinegar, and dry grass fell on the plot in the fall. You should not follow such tips as scaring away snakes with kerosene, working out engine oil, burning tires and other similar things - you can do more harm to yourself and your neighbors.
Most of the so-called hard methods come down to the physical destruction of snakes and have a dubious effect. It is hardly worth listening to private advice on watering the perimeter of the garden, children's sandboxes and swings, soldering hedgehogs with beer and waiting for them to turn into snake-killing monsters, or follow instructions on how to catch a snake with your bare hands (which can turn out to be an adder). In such ways, you can harm both yourself and your garden with all its inhabitants.
The use of chemicals, which are often used to scare reptiles, as well as poison, is rather doubtful. Supporters of poisons should be disappointed - snakes do not collect carrion, but swallow prey alive. Therefore, the scattered poison is more likely to harm other animals, for example, a neighbor's cat.
Using the natural enemies of reptiles - hedgehogs, owls, dogs and cats - also does not always work. Yes, hedgehogs can find and ruin snake nests, they can be easily lured by leftover food on a plate, but it is unlikely to control the process - the hedgehog can hunt snakes, or may prefer them ripe strawberries, trampling everything along the way.
There is also little hope for cats and dogs - it all depends on the preferences of the animal (a cat can be a “terminator”, or maybe a lazy bedridden one), as well as a trainer. And not every beast can cope with an angry reptile. Perhaps the best thing pets can do when fighting snakes is to share their fur. You just need to collect the pet’s hair combed out with a fine comb and place it in the secluded corners of the garden. Reptiles can not stand wool and will stay away from it.
If you suspect the presence of scaly representatives on the territory of the garden plot and in the process of combating them, you must strictly adhere to the safety rules:
- wear high rubber shoes and watch where you step,
- do not try to catch reptiles on your own,
- do not take snake creeps or dead reptiles with your bare hands - their smell remains on the skin for a long time and is able to lure their relatives,
- make more noise while walking, allowing the snake to crawl out of the way,
- Do not tease the snake - do not poke a stick at it, do not throw stones, etc.
What to do with a snakebite
In the case when the snake's attack could not be avoided, one should not panic, although the temperature may begin to rise and a numbness sensation may appear at the site of the bite. You should know that the poison does not begin to act immediately and there is enough time to take the following measures:
- eliminate the danger - to run away, drive away the snake, kill, or at least take a picture - this will help to identify it in order to provide the necessary assistance,
- bend the bitten limb at the elbow or knee and hold it motionless (you cannot pull it with a tourniquet). If bitten by the hand, remove the rings, as fingers may swell,
- squeeze blood from the wound (usually with a bite two) or several times within 15 minutes after the bite, suck blood from the wound and spit - so you can remove most of the poison. It should be remembered that if there are wounds in the oral cavity, this procedure should be abandoned or done after first collecting a little water in the mouth. This technique helps to dilute the toxin and make it less dangerous,
- disinfect the edges of the wound, dress with a loose bandage,
- transport the bitten to the hospital - in a horizontal position, while the body should be higher than the bitten part of the body,
- provide a plentiful drink, preferably sweet (except for alcohol, tea and coffee),
- take 2 tablets of antihistamines (diphenhydramine, diazolin, suprastin, etc.).
Snakes are not the best neighbors in their summer cottage, but there is no particular tragedy in their presence. In most cases, until the first chance meeting, people may not be aware of the scaly ones that live in their garden or in the garden and eat various garden pests. The simplest and most effective solution to the problem of the presence of reptiles in the garden is not to destroy them, but to withdraw them peacefully. To do this, create conditions of existence (but without fanaticism) that reptiles will not like, as a result of which they themselves migrate to more peaceful places.
From the videos presented, you can get visual information about how to protect yourself from the bite of vipers, as well as what can be an effective way to deal with these reptiles and what not. In addition, the videos will help dispel the scary myths about copperfish: