Anchor fasteners are considered the most reliable and are usually designed for many years. For example, this is how water reservoirs and even parts of the wall are hung during construction. But what if the item needs to be completely removed? Removing the anchor bolt from the concrete wall is quite simple if it is serviceable and correctly installed. If the installation was carried out with errors or the bolt was damaged during operation, you will have to work hard.
How to remove a working anchor
- the hole for the anchor should be equal to its length,
- the sleeve should peep out of the wall so that it can be picked up with pliers (for further dismantling),
- hammering the anchor by striking the nut, bolt, hook is highly not recommended - it is better to lay a wooden block, etc. shock absorber, so as not to damage the thread,
- In order not to break the slot of the bolt, you need to use a high-quality and clearly suitable screwdriver, as well as the average speed of the screwdriver.
When placed on the street or in a damp room, anchor fasteners require corrosion protection.
Removing a working nut anchor:
- Remove the nut.
- Through the gasket, hit the bolt with a hammer so that the bursting element comes out of the sleeve.
- Push the stud deep into the wall, so as to free the small edge of the cartridge.
- Grab the sleeve with a suitable tool and pull it out.
Removing a working frame anchor:
- Unscrew the anchor screw completely.
- Pick up and pull out the sleeve.
- Insert a screw into the hole in the wall so that it connects to the removable anchoring part.
- Screw the screw into the bursting element.
- Extend the entire structure.
It is not necessary to remove the anchor sleeves from the walls: they can be driven deeper so that they do not protrude beyond the wall, and covered with a plastic or wooden sleeve or cement.
The sleeve is completely driven into the wall
This is the most common case. If you need to remove the anchor from the concrete wall, usually we are talking about a room. The best recipe is to break the plaster around so that the pliers catch on the edge of the sleeve.
If you need to remove the anchor without damaging the adjacent surface (first of all, tile or plastic window slope):
- Remove the nut, knock out the bolt or loosen it (for the frame structure).
- Screw a thin self-tapping screw between the bolt and the sleeve so that it is stuck.
- Attach something to rest (for example, a hammer).
- Grasp both studs and pull out the structure.
If the first option did not help:
- Remove the nut and knock out the stud or remove the bolt.
- Use a thin nail or self-tapping screw as a wedge to tear and bend the edge of the sleeve.
- Grab the cartridge by the bent edge (it is convenient to first pull with narrow or round pliers, when the edge is released enough - take the pliers) and pull it out.
- For the frame anchor - insert into the concrete passage and tighten the bolt into the spacer and remove everything together.
A slightly rusted anchor bolt can be repaired with a rust converter for cars, machine grease or WD-40 flushing.
- Remove the top layer of dirt and, if possible, rust.
- To process a head, a nut, if possible, to spray deep into the converter.
- To withstand the time specified in the instructions for the tool.
- Repeat the procedure if necessary.
- Try to carefully unscrew the bolt.
On the forums, they propose to treat the oxidized parts with kerosene or VD-40 and leave for half a day, so that the tool fully works.
The slot at the bolt is torn
Torn slots are a rather rare case on anchor fasteners. However, if this happens, disassembling the wall is not necessary. Try to drill a head or a core if there is no head to remove a bolt from a thread. The “extractor" for screws and screws does a good job of this. This is an inexpensive device, attachments that are suitable for both a screwdriver and a drill. You can buy it on AliExpress for little money.
How to act as an extractor:
- Push and fix the bit with a drill (curved cross) down.
- Drill a hole in the stud or bolt head.
- Turn the extractor with a wedge-shaped end to the bottom and screw it into the hairpin.
- Turn on the reverse and release the broken bolt using the extractor.
With proper installation and operation, the anchor bolts are removed with effort, but quite simply. In rare cases, when it is impossible to hook the sleeve (for example, bad steel, the edge breaks) or the fasteners are “stuck” tightly, the only way out is to cut off the head or cut the anchor with a Bulgarian saw. If the anchor was holding a Swedish corner or other weight on the wall, perhaps the best option is to drive a hairpin and cover everything with a wooden bobbin or cement and just put the finishing plaster on top.
The principle of operation of anchor fasteners
Anchors are a structure that consists of elements such as a cylinder, bolt and nut. To fix an object on the wall, first drill a hole in the concrete into which the anchor is placed. After that, the nut is twisted on the thread, which leads to the expansion of the capsule and its fixing in the wall.
Choosing anchors, you can find several types of such fasteners. They are all designed for different tasks, so before buying you should figure out where and how the bolt will be fixed. Having studied the features of such products, you can understand how to properly remove the anchor from the wall. All of them are divided into several types:
- Products with a nut. Such anchors are the most common. They consist of a cylinder, inside of which there is a bolt with a conical end. The principle of operation of the design is based on the fact that when twisting the sleeve wedges. This ensures reliable fastening of the structure in the wall.
- With a hook. Anchors of this type differ only in that on the top there is not a nut, but a hook. It provides the convenience of working with fasteners. Hardware is often used in fixing fixtures and chandeliers, as well as elements on which water heaters and other devices are installed.
- With a ring. In the upper part of such products is a ring, which is designed for convenient fixation of various objects. Typically, such anchors are purchased for indoor installation.
- Double-spaced. They differ from the rest in that they have 2 bushings at once. When tightening the nut in such bolts, one of the bushings enters the other and unclenches it. At the same time, the first is also wedged.
Anchors are divided into 3 types according to the characteristics of the fastening, which will be described in more detail below.
There are several ways to remove a two-position anchor from the wall, so you need to prepare the necessary tools in advance.
Such fasteners consist of a sleeve in the form of a cylinder. It has several slots located longitudinally. On the outside, there are usually notches that improve adhesion to the concrete surface. If there are no notches, this suggests that the anchor can be selected not only as fasteners, but also as a decorative element.
To install anchor bolts into the wall, a hole of a certain depth is first drilled. The diameter is selected so that the product is placed in the channel only with effort. It is worth considering that the placement of the anchor in the wall occurs only after the drilled hole is completely cleaned. After that, the firing pin is brought into the cylinder and hit with a hammer until the longitudinal slots reach the maximum possible width.
Such products consist of several segments, each of which has the shape of a cylinder. All parts are connected together according to the scheme: spring - spacer - ring. After the bolt is placed in the end element, the anchor wedges.
Due to the features of this type of fasteners, the slots open to the maximum width. That is why such anchor bolts are used for a brick wall or foam blocks.
The advantages of fasteners include:
- the possibility of placing the anchor at a shallow depth,
- high bearing capacity
- no need to create holes corresponding to the parameters of the anchor with high accuracy.
If you need to fasten heavy objects, select wedge anchors. Their feature: the wedging of the cylinder occurs during the tightening of the nut. Anchors of this type are more difficult to dismantle, but they are the most reliable, as they withstand heavy loads.
Effective Anchor Extraction Methods
To get the anchor, you can choose one of five ways:
- Extraction with building pincers. Construction nippers are used. The resulting hole can be sealed with a repair mixture.
- Weakening capsules. First, unscrew the nut to reduce the diameter of the capsule. To do this, the bolt is clogged into the wall. After such actions, it will be much easier to pull the structure out of the wall.
- Drilling a product. This method involves drilling the place where the sleeve connects to the nut.
- Drilling concrete near the fixture. Before breaking concrete, remove the nut to loosen the cylinder. Destroying the wall around the bolt is enough to a distance equal to half its length. After that, he easily gets nippers.
- Create a hole near the anchor. To get fasteners, you can drill a hole in the wall at a distance equal to the length of the anchor. At the same time, it should be located next to it. After that, the fasteners are removed with pliers almost effortlessly. If one hole is not enough, a second is drilled. After work, you can cover this place with putty.
Using any of the above methods, you can easily get the anchor out of the wall without spending a lot of time.
Tools and accessories for working with anchor type fasteners
To get the anchor, you can use the following tools:
The hammer is used to break concrete near the fixture, as well as to hammer the studs to reduce the diameter of the sleeve. The drill is used only when it is not possible to extract the anchor with the help of wire cutters.
Sometimes you don’t have to get the anchor completely, since the part that is outside the wall is cut off with a grinder, and then the irregularities are putty.
To speed up the process of extracting the anchor, it is enough to understand the structure of the fasteners. For example, pulling the bolt out of the wall, pulling it by the hairpin, will not work, as this will only lead to the expansion of the sleeve. But if you hammer it to the end and pull the structure out of the sleeve, it will be much easier to do.
How to pull an anchor from a wall
As a rule, screwing the anchor is much easier than pulling it out of the wall. Therefore, before screwing it into one place or another, think about whether or not it is needed here. Very often you have to pull out anchors “with meat” followed by puttying the hole.
To gently pull out the anchor, first unscrew the nut and punch the pin from the holder as far as possible, then try to remove the clip with something. In case of a positive outcome, getting a hairpin is not difficult.
Drill a bolt-nut connection. If there is stock, try to knock the bolt in and then pull out the clip with the nut, and then the bolt itself.
Make a hole in the bolt, then form a thread with a tap and screw another bolt into the resulting hole. While holding the latter, try to turn the nut on the main bolt together with the yoke. Once the bolt locks, remove and unscrew the locknut. After that, use a grinder to cut off the outer nut and knock the shaft inward. Pull out the sleeve and remove the shaft.
Drive the pin back into the ferrule. After that, crush the concrete around the anchor to a depth of not less than one centimeter and pull it out with pliers.
If the anchor to be pulled out is made of a weak, less durable metal, try to just drill it.
Regardless of the method of removing the anchor bolt from the wall, after removing it, the surface will have to be plastered in any case.
How to carefully remove the anchor from the wall
Installing the anchor in the wall is much easier than removing it. In this regard, before you screw such fasteners into the wall, you need to perform all the necessary measurements and accurately determine the place of its future location. Removing the anchor from the wall is a time-consuming process, which can result not only in the removal of fasteners, but also significant damage to the concrete. How to remove the anchor with the least damage to the structures, we will describe in this article.
The easiest way to get rid of the spacer bolt in the wall is as follows:
- Unscrew the anchor nut,
- We pierce the fastener stud inward, as far as possible,
- We remove the clip with pliers.
Unfortunately, this simple and least time-consuming method does not always work. If you have electric tools at hand, it is best to try to solve the problem, armed with a drill. Using a metal drill, drill a bolt-nut assembly, and then knock the bolt inward. Most often, after such an impact, the anchor clip can be easily removed from the hole in the wall.
Another effective method can only be used with large concrete anchors. For its implementation, a hole is drilled in the bolt in which, using a tap, a thread is made. A smaller diameter bolt is screwed into the hole. To remove the anchor, holding the screw in, rotate the nut on the main bolt, together with the clip. After fixing the bolt, the locknut is unscrewed and removed, and then, using an angle grinder, the external nut is cut off and the rod is pushed inward, striking it.
In addition to "intelligent" ways to remove hardware from the wall, there are more radical ones. Most often, to remove the anchor without the hassle, they simply drill it. For this, drill bits for metal from stainless steel are used. As a rule, having destroyed the threaded threaded mechanism of the product, it can be easily removed from the hole. The second, rougher way, the most "traumatic" for the design. To remove the bolt, the stud is driven back into the holder, after which the concrete around the anchor is destroyed with a puncher or a chisel and a hammer, to a depth of about 1 centimeter. After the clip protrudes above the concrete surface, you need to grab it with pliers and try to pull it out of the wall.
Using the last two methods of dismantling the expansion anchors, you should be prepared for damage to the wall or ceiling around the fasteners. Therefore, beginning such work, do not forget to stock up with putty and putty knife.