Buttermilk, or traditionally a butterdish, or low-fat cream - this is the product that remains after churning the butter. It is a tart, slightly sweet liquid that resembles yogurt. Buttermilk contains 0.2-0.5% fat, vitamins A, B, D, E and other useful trace elements, which makes it a real find for those who care about their health. But buttermilk is not always at hand. We will tell you how to quickly and easily make buttermilk at home from ordinary products.
To make buttermilk, we need only 1 cup of whole milk and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or white (regular) vinegar.
Add lemon juice or white vinegar to milk. Most prefer lemon juice, as it makes the taste richer and adds a certain piquancy to the buttermilk.
Mix everything together and let the milk settle for 5 to 10 minutes. During this time, the milk will begin to curl, exfoliate. Small solids will begin to form before your eyes.
Buttermilk can be used like any other dairy product. You can bake pancakes, pancakes, cakes, cookies, make salad dressings and much more.
You can try buttermilk in many ways. They will be similar to taste. Experiment with various dairy products.
Try making buttermilk from yogurt and water. Mix 3/4 cup low-fat yogurt with 1/4 cup water and mix.
Try making buttermilk of sour cream and water. Mix 3/4 cup sour cream with 1/4 cup water and mix thoroughly.
If you know, how to make buttermilkplease write about this in the comments.
What is buttermilk in cooking?
The liquid contains many useful substances: proteins, milk sugar, mineral components, lycetin and vitamins. Fat content does not exceed 0.5%
The product is often added to the dough when baking bread and other products. Thanks to this, the baking is magnificent.
Serum can be part of cold soups and light salad dressings, as it is considered a good alternative to sour cream. She is allowed to completely or partially - depending on the recipe - replace heavy cream, kefir or sour cream.
If it is not possible to buy a real product, then you can do it yourself. Buttermilk is simple at home. The technology is as follows:
- It is necessary to take two glasses of skim milk.
- Add to it a teaspoon of lemon juice (the latter is allowed to be replaced with the same volume of vinegar).
- Stir the milk and put in a warm place for 15 minutes.
Buttermilk prepared according to this recipe can be used for adding to baking, and just for drinking.
The benefits and harms of buttermilk
The drink, due to its low fat content, is a dietary product. It can be introduced into the diet of a losing weight person, replacing yogurt or kefir.
What else can serum be useful for? Here is a list of the main features of the drink:
- normalizes indicators of "bad" cholesterol. To stabilize cholesterol, you need to drink a glass of skim cream daily. They will not allow cholesterol to settle on the walls of blood vessels, forming plaques,
- prevention of heart disease. The product will be useful as a prophylactic for coronary heart disease, various cardiac arrhythmias,
- strengthening the walls of blood vessels. Due to this feature, the drink to some extent helps with hypertension,
- stimulation of metabolic processes. The substances that make up the product increase the speed of all metabolic processes that take place in the human body,
- restoration of liver cells. Buttermilk does not allow the liver to "fatten", and also facilitates the course of cholecystitis,
- normalization of intestinal microflora. Serum contains many beneficial microorganisms. Cottage cheese prepared on such a basis will be useful for increased gas formation and intestinal colic. In addition, the product is a good laxative,
- normalization of the nervous system. Regular consumption of the product has a beneficial effect on the human nervous system.
But a drink can be harmful in the following cases:
- with lactose intolerance,
- during diarrhea
- increased acidity of gastric juice.
Only a fresh product can benefit a person. Buttermilk that has been frozen or cooked is best avoided.